Senior Risk Manager
Reports To:Chief Credit Officer
Region: États Unis
Contact:Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Senior Risk Manager develops and maintains Root Capital’s credit policies and procedures, including relevant industry and country level underwriting guidelines. The Senior Risk Manager is part of a team that has credit authority to review and approve credit requests across Root Capital’s global portfolio. The Senior Risk Manager also performs a portfolio monitoring function related to staff and board oversight committees.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Lending Policy, Procedures, and Underwriting Tools and Guidelines (45%)
- Develop and maintain credit policy and procedures reflecting Root Capital’s risk appetite and incorporating lessons learned. Maintain loan policy and procedures manuals, including language translations, Intranet access, and coordinate dissemination of same to lending staff;
- Work closely with the Lending Operations to develop, implement, and manage appropriate underwriting tools, including credit memo formats and financial analysis tools;
- Work closely with the Lending and Risk Management teams to develop underwriting guidelines to supplement the Lending Policy Manual for underwriting loans in specific countries and/or industries, or to address any key operating risk factors.
Credit Approval (30%)
- Act as an approver generally for credit requests across the global portfolio.
Portfolio Risk Monitoring (25%)
- Monitor and analyze global loan portfolio concentrations;
- Develop and maintain country portfolio reports;
- Support the Chief Credit Officer in the administration of staff and board committees - Risk Appetite Committee, Risk Oversight Committee, and Credit Sub-Committee.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; formal credit training; Master's degree a plus;
- Five to seven years of direct credit experience in a lending institution; microfinance or SME lending experience a plus;
- Excellent credit structuring and financial analysis skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal;
- Bilingual English/Spanish; French fluency a plus.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.