Senior Marketing Associate
Reports To:Senior Marketing & Communications Manager
Region: États Unis
Location:USA - Remote, with expected periodic travel to Cambridge, MA
Contact:Please apply using the form below.
You are a creative marketing professional who has broad experience engaging diverse audiences. You enjoy creating multimedia content that engages and delights, and experimenting across channels to attract new supporters. With the ultimate goal of building brand awareness and donor revenue, you will work closely with the Development and Communications teams to create and deploy content marketing initiatives, including online fundraising campaigns. You will also work with our global team to write and amplify stories about Root Capital’s impact on access to finance, climate action, gender inclusion, and youth employment in rural communities.
You consider yourself a ‘digital native’ and possess excellent communication skills in English (Spanish a plus but not required); writing and editing experience across diverse channels and mediums; strong interpersonal skills; knowledge of digital communications and current marketing techniques; and a passion for growing prosperity in rural communities around the world. Candidates can be based anywhere in the US, with the option to work fully remotely or in our Cambridge, MA headquarters. We especially welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds and insights that make our communications more compelling to everyone.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Donor marketing strategy development and implementation - 60%
- Develop and manage a marketing strategy to increase digital subscribers and online donors, using email, social media, digital ads, and more.
- Through storytelling, video, and multimedia, create digital experiences that introduce Root Capital to new potential donors and keep existing donors inspired and engaged.
- Manage planning and implementation of online fundraising campaigns (creating landing pages for website, drafting solicitation emails, driving donor engagement on social media, etc.).
- Write, lay out, and distribute regular email communications to donor segments (monthly, mid-tier, lapsed donors, and more) and manage Mailchimp lists and workflows related to these segments.
- Respond to content requests from the Development team (e.g., developing donor collateral, formatting client stories, sending photos and other resources to donors, etc.).
Communications content strategy, development, and distribution - 30%
- Contribute to high-level team planning around branding, editorial strategy, marketing, and communications. With team members, think creatively about how to engage, inspire, and educate all of Root Capital’s priority audiences.
- Pitch ideas for Root Capital’s editorial calendar, ensuring content reflects priority audiences and topics. Work with global staff to identify and source compelling new stories about our work.
- Write and edit original content, including blog posts, email newsletters, collateral, reports, media articles, and more. As needed, ghostwrite content for staff members.
- Coordinate social media strategy and implementation across multiple platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram) for Root Capital.
- Advise Root Capital teams on marketing strategies, techniques, and trends as applicable to our goals for each audience.
Administrative/team support - 10%
- Develop and maintain email lists and workflows, contact database management, and other departmental infrastructure for donor marketing and social media.
- Track and analyze metrics across digital platforms (email, social media), using this to inform strategy creation and adjustments.
- Engage and respond to incoming social media messages as part of our broader communications strategy.
- Help streamline systems and processes for the Creative team, including maintaining photo and quotes databases and other departmental infrastructure.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional marketing experience.
- Experience successfully creating, managing, and implementing marketing campaigns for diverse audiences (donor/nonprofit marketing experience a plus).
- Stellar writing and editing skills across a broad range of content types (email, website, blog, social media, and print).
- Demonstrated ability to use online communications, email marketing, and social media as tools for constituency engagement, brand awareness, and lead generation.
- Fluent in the coordination of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram), including posting content and analyzing results and trends.
- Ability to think creatively, take initiative, and work independently, while also enjoying collaboration with the team.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) desired.
- Experience with digital advertising (Google Ads management, Facebook Ads) a plus.
- Proficient Spanish speaker and writer is a plus.
- A team player with a sense of humor.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Willingness and ability to travel to Root Capital global offices when needed.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.