Senior Advisor to Lending
Reports To:Chief Operating Officer
Job Type:Term Contract Position. The role is expected to be 50% of a full-time employee, should last for a minimum of 1 year, and shall be renewable on a mutual agreed basis.
Region: États Unis
Location:Remote in the USA
Contact:Please apply by completing the form below.
To act as a senior adviser to Root's global Lending team, providing advice and support to Lending team members regarding (i) underwriting potential lending transactions, including financial analysis and credit structuring, (ii) portfolio management, including servicing and monitoring of transactions, (iii) trouble-shooting and managing problematic transactions, (iv) optimal portfolio construction, and (v) commercial concepts, such as marketing, pipeline management, pricing, customer service, and managing client relationships.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Facilitate the further development of the team's professional skills, to augment their experience, and to ensure that Root's lending program is efficient by ensuring that:
- Team members have training and skills to be highly productive, support and facilitate the development of highly effective professional development programs for lending teams; and
- Clients receive a level of service and support commensurate with Root's mission to improve the sustainable growth trajectories of small agricultural cooperatives in Latin America, Africa, and Southeast Asia.
Partner with Lending staff and Root Capital's executive leadership to help develop strategies and tactics to ensure that Root Capital continues to be successful in the increasingly crowded and competitive markets in which we operate, including:
- Assessing various opportunities for partnerships or joint ventures with other lenders, including loan syndications and participation;
- Developing a more intentional approach to how we engage with various active industry associations at the global and regional level; and
- Developing improved portfolio-wide strategies to increase lending client retention through areas such as more robust marketing activities and an improved approach to loan pricing.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
- Extensive experience in lending/credit and trade finance for SMEs, including assessing loan prospects, underwriting, negotiating loan agreements, risk management, and problem loan management, and client relationship management
- Experience in lending in developing markets, particularly in Africa and/or Latin America
- Experience in lending in the agricultural sector, ideally involving coffee, cocoa, and specialty nuts
- Familiarity with the challenges of deal prospecting in underdeveloped markets
- Commitment to Root’s values and mission
- Results focused
- Enthusiastic about and experienced with mentoring
- Detail-oriented and willing to engage with the details of credit underwriting and portfolio management
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus; ability to navigate loan systems
- Fluent in Spanish (preferred)
- Able to work effectively on a remote basis across time zones and in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and priorities effectively
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.