Risk Officer- East Africa & Indonesia
Reports To:Regional Risk Manager - Africa
Region: Afrique de l'Est
Contact:Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Risk Officer has the primary responsibility of working with the regional lending team to provide guidance around underwriting, performance monitoring, and general compliance with lending policy, as well as to manage regional collections and workout efforts in support of the Regional Risk Manager and the Collections and Workout Officer. S/he will have direct contact with clients whose loans are in arrears, as well as with legal advisors to develop and implement recovery strategies, both judicial and extra-judicial. S/he should be able to work independently, proactively, and collaboratively.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Monitoring Current Loan Portfolio (50%)
- Verify that borrowers' risk ratings are updated in a correct and timely manner, in compliance with the policy.
- Support supervision of performance monitoring of borrowers in the current loan portfolio.
- Monitor the implementation and fulfilment of action plans, to mitigate the deterioration of the portfolio on watch list.
- Build reports requested by the Regional Risk Manager, to supervise the monitoring of the loan portfolio.
- Build a database of lessons learned as a result of the risk monitoring and control process; track best practices and issues that arise to develop lessons learned for the risk monitoring and control process.
- Communicate portfolio trends in the region.
- Support field visits to the borrowers assigned by the Regional Risk Manager.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Non-Current Loan Portfolio Management (30%)
- Work closely with the credit team to ensure borrower compliance with performance monitoring that ensures timely identification of potential problems and accurate risk ratings.
- Follow up on the implementation and fulfilment of proposed action plans for loans at risk.
- Actively participate in ongoing reviews of the problem loan portfolio.
- Analyze and communicate risk trends in the portfolio; develop and provide portfolio analysis as required.
- Coordinate and conduct monthly Risk Review meetings in liaison with the Regional Risk Manager and follow up on action items.
- Finalize the monthly risk review spreadsheet and send to relevant stakeholders in the organization.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Collection and Workout (20%)
- Under the supervision of the Regional Collections and Workout Officer, manage the collection of an assigned written-off portfolio, evaluating solutions and coordinating directly with debtors and legal advisors/external agencies to negotiate payment plans and/or take legal action.
- Prepare and present credit proposals for negotiation/settlement agreements and loan restructures for the non-performing portfolio to the credit committee.
- Follow up on the closing process and compliance with the negotiated agreements on assigned written-off portfolio.
- Make regular updates to the high-risk review reports, together with the respective action plans for the assigned written-off portfolio.
- Periodically report on the budget of legal expenses and estimate of recovery of the assigned written-off portfolio.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, business administration, or related field. Master’s degree a plus.
- Four years of professional experience in financial analysis, risk management, credit operations, and collections, preferably in a commercial bank.
- Ability to plan and monitor the maintenance of a system of registration appropriate to loan accounts and credit information, and to carry an own analysis of the portfolio in collection.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a team, as well as with internal and external clients.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Excellent financial analysis skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Availability to travel to rural areas, inside and outside the country (10% of the time).
- Fluency in English; French knowledge an added advantage.
- Management of Microsoft Office package is essential. Additional knowledge of financial software and/or database management is an advantage.
- Share Root Capital’s commitment to the alleviation of poverty in the world and the conservation of the environment.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.