Talent Development Manager
Reports To: Chief People Officer
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Region: Central America & Mexico - East Africa - South America - United States
Location: Remote (open to any country where Root Capital has a registered office)
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
The Talent Development Manager will promote Root Capital’s philosophy and mission through talent management support for each employee across the organization. You will support the Chief People Officer in executive the talent development framework: onboarding, performance management, learning & development, succession planning, and leadership development. You will partner with all levels of the organization to ensure that employees have the tools and information they need to be efficient, productive, and thrive in our organization.
You will maintain a people-first approach, using technology to enable continuous improvement and access to development opportunities. The goal is for each employee to feel supported and well-equipped in their current role and grow within the organization.
Your demeanor, work style, and approach will be representative of our organization’s values and leadership principles as we work as a united team toward the organization’s mission and goals. You view HR as more than an administrative, compliance-driven task; instead, you view your role as an opportunity to shape our organizational culture and make Root Capital a great place to work. The more our employees feel supported, the better they support our clients. This is our global impact.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.7 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
You will develop relationships with each employee in the organization by holding regular check-ins, understanding needs, and owning the talent development process. You will develop and execute a talent development map for every employee across the organization, in coordination with the regional HR representatives and department leaders
Learning & Development (L&D)
- Create and execute learning strategies and programs
- Evaluate individual and organizational development needs
- Implement various learning methods companywide (e.g. coaching, job-shadowing, online training)
- Facilitate/design/coordinate e-learning courses, workshops, and other training
- Assess the success of development plans and help employees make the most of learning opportunities
- Help managers develop their team members through career pathing
- Track L&D budget and equitably in partnership with Chief People Officer
Human Resources Systems
- In the first 6 months, contribute to the build-out, implementation, and rollout of the new HCM system, in coordination with Global HR Systems Specialist - specifically, the talent management components
- During the roll-out, coordinate/facilitate L&D access in the new system for adoption
- Ongoing, maintaining talent management components, ensuring data integrity and accuracy in record-keeping
- Assigning talent development content
- Partner with leaders across the organization to identify development needs & solutions (internal & external) needed to prepare the future leaders
- Partner with leaders across the organization to build out succession plans
- Partner with managers and regional HR representatives to ensure a smooth onboarding process as the introduction into our organization (alignment of content and platform access)
- Monitor the performance review process and ensure reviews are completed in a timely manner
- Partner with regional HR representatives on performance issues that call for L&D opportunities
This role does not have any direct reports.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is required.
- Proven experience as an L&D Manager, Training Manager, or similar
- Current knowledge of effective learning and development methods
- Familiarity with e-learning platforms and practices
- Experience in project management and budgeting
- Tech-savvy (current tech stack: Google Suite, Microsoft, Box, BambooHR, etc
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills; sharp business acumen
- Ability to build rapport with employees and vendors
- Professional certification (e.g. CPLP) is a plus
- Ability to understand organizational context and priorities. Asks questions and develops informed points of view. Delivers tactical support and identifies ways to deliver incremental value to the business.
- Ability to establish trust and credibility with the HR team and staff through effective communication, collaboration, and consistently meeting commitments.
- Represents Root Capital and regional points of view in the development of HR priorities, effectively advocates for, and implements, HR priorities within Root Capital’s global context.
- Root Capital is a complex and fast-paced environment and one that is constantly evolving. This role can be ambiguous and requires a leader who can think critically and be agile to change course to achieve objectives. Leading through change is key.
- Problem Solver. Ability to approach work with an analytical and solution-oriented mindset. Seeks out the root cause of problems/issues, and leverages data to build a business case for change. Applies an end-to-end view when developing and implementing solutions to problems/issues.
- Subject Matter Expert. Extensive knowledge of talent management best practices and employee engagement.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
U.S applicants: Root Capital Inc. participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government your I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, see here. Learn more about your right to work.