Senior Impact Analyst
Reports To: Senior Impact and Partnerships Manager
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Location: United States
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace, and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.3 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
The Senior Impact Analyst will have two main roles. The first will be to support the design and implementation of Root Capital’s mixed-methods impact evaluations in Africa, Latin America, and Asia to identify Root Capital’s impact on our clients—agricultural businesses—and the impact of these businesses on smallholder households and local communities and ecosystems. In this capacity, the Senior Impact Analyst will conduct literature reviews, co-design impact evaluations, design survey tools, oversee data collection, perform data analysis and write impact evaluation reports. The Senior Impact Analyst will also contribute to Root Capital’s broader monitoring and evaluation (M&E) efforts, including designing and implementing M&E strategies, managing data, and conducting analyses of program and impact data. The Senior Impact Analyst will serve as a resource on M&E and impact studies for both internal and external stakeholders.
The second portion of the role will be to support the Women in Agriculture Initiative in research, program design, implementation, M&E, and partner engagement. Root Capital’s Women in Agriculture Initiative (WAI) was launched in 2012 to support and strengthen the many roles of women across agricultural value chains. Through the WAI, we invest in businesses committed to the inclusion of women, we build women’s financial and agricultural knowledge so they can thrive, personally and professionally, encourage women-led design of new products and services that benefit them and their communities, and contribute knowledge and insights to the broader field of gender lens investing.
The Senior Impact Analyst will report to the Senior Impact and Partnerships Manager, and will work closely with the Senior Social and Environmental Performance Manager and other Impact team members globally. The Senior Impact Analyst will collaborate extensively with Root Capital staff across our global offices and with external partners, including the agricultural businesses Root Capital supports.
The position is an exciting opportunity for candidates with a passion for impact measurement and gender equity in development to apply and strengthen their skills and expertise around both impact evaluation and gender lens programming in an exciting, innovative environment and a global team committed to generating inclusive impact in the communities we serve.
Impact Studies (70%)
- Collaborate with Impact, Lending, Advisory, and Development teams to determine priorities for impact evaluations and develop research questions the studies will aim to answer;
- Conduct literature reviews to inform study design;
- Co-develop study methodologies with Sr. Impact and Partnerships Manager and other team members as appropriate;
- Design survey instruments—including instruments to gather both quantitative and qualitative data;
- Recruit, train and oversee locally based consultants and/or field-based staff for study implementation;
- Manage sampling, survey piloting, data collection (using SurveyCTO or other data collection applications), and quality control of study implementation;
- Provide budget oversight for studies;
- Analyze and/or oversee analysis of study results (depending on the study and partners engaged);
- Write or edit study reports and create summaries, briefs, blog posts, and presentations to present to internal and external audiences, including Root Capital staff, Root Capital borrowers, donors, investors, and other applied M&E practitioners;
- Conduct reviews and meta-analyses of impact evaluation findings;
- Represent Root Capital and formally present on impact work, internally and externally, either with donors and partners individually, or at impact evaluation/agricultural finance/impact investing events;
- Support Advisory and Development teams in designing monitoring and evaluation frameworks for programs and grant proposals, and in subsequently reporting results using those frameworks;
- Manage impact study data and tools and contribute to internal knowledge management; and
- Perform other activities related to Root Capital’s impact work as assigned
Women in Agriculture Initiative (WAI) (30%)
- Conduct research on gender and agriculture in low- and middle-income countries;
- Write reports, blog posts, briefs, presentations and other material related to gender and agriculture, gender lens investing, and the WAI;
- Use impact evaluation and other gender-related impact data to inform and guide WAI strategy and program design;
- Contribute to WAI strategic and programmatic design and implementation, in close collaboration with the WAI Lead and other WAI team members;
- Develop M&E frameworks for WAI activities; and
- Represent Root Capital and formally present on the WAI, internally and externally, either with donors and partners individually or at relevant events; and
- Perform other activities related to Root Capital’s impact work as assigned
- Master’s degree in economics, statistics, public policy, international development, or related field, or Bachelor’s degree with strong academic training in those fields plus related professional experience.
- At least three years of professional experience in agricultural development, impact investing, social finance, international development, or a related field.
- At least two years of experience (professional and/or academic) working on field-based evaluations in one of the above fields; experience designing and/or implementing M&E frameworks, and experience with quasi-experimental methods or RCTs required, experience with qualitative research or methods strongly preferred.
- Experience designing and implementing rigorous impact evaluations in developing countries.
- Advanced proficiency in Stata, Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Experience with mobile data collection platforms (like SurveyCTO) and Salesforce preferred.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including experience writing technical evaluation reports and synthesizing research findings for broad audiences.
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to coordinate activities of an international team of staff and external consultants.
- Self-started and ability to flexibly manage and prioritize multiple competing tasks; ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of colleagues and stakeholders, including funders, academics, clients and smallholder farmers.
- Fluency in English and fluency or advanced proficiency in Spanish required. French language skills helpful but not required.
- Willingness to travel (3-4 times per year) in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, often in remote areas, with stays as long as 2-3 weeks.
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
To apply, please fill out the form below and upload your resume and cover letter in the appropriate spaces.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of: empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.