Senior Director of Marketing & Communications
Job Type: Full-time
Region: United States
Location: Cambridge, MA or Remote in the US
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Senior Director of Marketing & Communications will serve as a primary campaign strategist, storyteller, and brand ambassador, leading activities to grow Root Capital’s donor pool and engage other priority audiences through external marketing and communications efforts. Currently, this role will advance Root Capital’s ability to raise $100M as part of the already-underway campaign to achieve our 2025 Strategic Plan. The Senior Director will lead a team in the development and implementation of innovative marketing campaigns that increase awareness, define and engage key audiences, grow online revenue, and establish relevance within target sectors and key audiences including individual and institutional donors, prospective supporters, investors, partner and peer organizations, and small and growing agricultural businesses. Skills and experience including digital and social media strategies, brand development, public relations, media, content development, audience conversion, data analytics, and advertising will be relevant for this critical role.
The Marketing & Communications team works closely with teams across the organization to advance fundraising and programmatic objectives, maintain a consistent global brand, and position Root Capital as a thought leader via strategic communications. To be successful, the Senior Director will foster an environment of continuous learning for the team, knowing when to lead from the front and when to create space for individual staff members to grow and flourish. This role will work collaboratively with the global Root Capital team and align key stakeholders on global team efforts, strategy, and initiatives.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.6 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Lead a Robust Marketing and Communications Strategy and Function (75%)
- Develop and execute Root Capital’s global marketing and communications strategy.
- Continue to build upon brand recognition, working across channels to further increase awareness and understanding of the organization and its mission by stakeholders around the globe.
- Position Root Capital as a high-impact leader and innovator in the sector, international development community, and social enterprise circles, and as a reputable and respected organization within donor communities.
- Oversee efforts to increase Root Capital's share of voice and presence in key fora, including through proactive media/public relations outreach and elevation of executive leadership.
- Oversee and guide team members to:
- Collect and translate Root Capital’s stories, photos and video into compelling assets to inspire and engage external audiences;
- Design and execute marketing campaigns that build awareness and grow Root Capital’s donor pool and target audiences;
- Develop and actively maintain the department's essential communication tools including Root Capital’s website, digital marketing tools, and other software;
- Create donor collateral; and
- Support donor events.
- Prepare leadership and staff for high-profile interviews and other external speaking engagements.
- Identify and develop high-value communications opportunities with key donors and other partners, resulting in joint amplification, co-branded initiatives, and fulfillment of grant requirements.
- Collaborate with other teams including Business Development, Impact, and Advisory on engaging external audiences: work to define target audiences and messages, optimize content, market through relevant channels, build the organization’s reputation as a leader in the field, and increase engagement.
- Identify and develop high value touch opportunities, in partnership with the Development team, to more deeply engage high-capacity donors.
- Enable global Root Capital staff to be brand ambassadors, sharing the organization’s work within the unique networks and with the stakeholders with whom our staff engage.
- In collaboration with senior leadership, ensure effective internal communication of key messaging, initiatives, and updates to global staff.
Analyze and Adapt (10%)
- Develop, manage, and report on objectives and key results indicators and analytics to track effectiveness of marketing, communications, and campaigns to continuously improve and ensure achievement of team goals.
- Direct and analyze audience/donor engagement, and use findings and insights to inform and strengthen initiatives.
Inspire and Manage a Team (15%)
- Recruit, motivate, organize, manage, train, and lead the marketing and communications staff in a manner which promotes professional development, while maintaining team focus on organizational priorities.
- Build alignment and consensus within the team around organizational and team goals.
- Demonstrate leadership in cross-functional collaboration across the organization.
- Set individual contributor and team goals, and conduct performance reviews for direct reports.
- Oversee team-level budget management and goal setting.
- Oversee management of external vendors and contractors and accountable for effective fulfillment of contractual obligations.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in marketing/communications, digital/print campaigns, media relations, fundraising, public relations or another related field.
- At least 4 years of experience successfully leading and managing a team.
- Proven expertise working on marketing and promotions campaigns and experience with the production of multiple types of communication products and media.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and a proven marketer with creative skills.
- Experience working with various social media platforms and web design/development preferred.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
- Ability to convey complex, technical content in clear, concise and compelling language.
- Experience collaborating with key internal and external stakeholder groups, including executive leadership.
- Strong writing, editing, layout, design and professional publishing skills preferred.
- Advanced computer proficiencies in MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and other software including MailChimp, Classy, Salesforce, etc.
- Experience in international development or agriculture is a plus.
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects while maintaining focus and flexibility in the face of change and ambiguity.
- Ability to think creatively, take initiative, and work independently, while also collaboratively across a global organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience
- Spanish proficiency is a plus.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.