Senior Credit Analyst
Reports To: Senior Director, Global Lending and Innovation
Job Type: Consultant (75%)
Region: Southeast Asia
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by sending a Resume and Cover Letter to Jael Okello (email@example.com) with the following subject title: Application for Senior Credit Analyst, Indonesia
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.8 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Purpose of Position
The Senior Credit Analyst supports the growth and quality of Root Capital’s credit portfolio by collaborating with the Portfolio Manager/Loan Officer in gathering, verifying and conducting financial and credit analysis of potential loans from rural small and medium enterprises (SMEs). S/he will also monitor the quality of outstanding loans. 25% travel is required to meet clients as part of the due-diligence and monitoring process as well as to represent Root Capital at conferences and industry events. This position is based in Indonesia, though other locations can be considered for strong candidates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Credit Analysis (55%)
- Collaborate with the Portfolio Manager/Loan Officer to collect, verify, spread and analyze information for potential or actual credits in priority areas, mainly in sustainable agriculture.
- Prepare along with the Portfolio Managers/loan officers, the credit proposals/memos, for presentation and consideration by the credit committee. Deliver additional reports, regarding operations as required by Portfolio Manager.
- Collaborate with designated team members in the organization to negotiate structure and legally document the loan documents and the closing process of each approved credit.
- Sustain relations with the client, as necessary and continuous monitoring of the activities for the approved credits, according to the procedures established by Root Capital.
- In collaboration with the Portfolio Manager/Loans Officer, establish key operational indicators for each client/credit, analyze periodic management, financial and environmental reports delivered by the clients, and include updated projections in the evaluation of client’s credits. Travel to meet existing and potential clients as necessary.
- In collaboration with the Portfolio Manager/Loan Officer, review and update the qualification of risk during the analysis of the credit proposal and also during the life of the loan once it is disbursed.
- Analyze periodic monitoring reports from designated clients, third party monitors and discuss with the Risk Manager.
- Engage in the execution of “due diligence” of businesses in every stage of the loan’s application, to ensure well informed decision making and qualification of the risk involved. Critically analyze the financial statements and apply financial, commercial, environmental and social criteria to the actual and considered credits, providing recommendation for payment and monitoring the repayment of the loans disbursed.
- Complete periodic Risk Rating Engine reports in Salesforce for designated clients under the guidance of the Risk Manager.
- Assess client covenant compliance in line with loan agreement/approved terms and conditions.
- Perform other duties as maybe required from time to time.
Business Development (5%)
- Attend conferences and trade shows, representing Root Capital with potential clients, donors, and investors.
- Engage in lead cultivation activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Banking, Business Administration or related field
- 5-7 years’ experience in financial and credit analysis, preferably in Indonesia
- Experience with small and medium enterprise (SME) or agricultural lending is desirable
- 2 years’ experience in SME financial and credit analysis. Ability to understand and learn the organization’s credit policies and credit analysis requirement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Bahasa required
- Proficiency in Tatum is a plus
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary. Additional knowledge of financial software is a plus.
- Ability to handle confidential information about the transactions and business activities of Root Capital and our clients
- Strong interest in the field of social impact investing. Passionate about supporting the advancement of Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Indonesia.
- Willingness to travel to rural areas of Indonesia
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders across multiple geographies
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proactive, service-oriented attitude
- Strong attitude towards compliance
- Knowledge of coffee value chains a plus
- Authorized to work in Indonesia
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Domestic and international travel, up to 25% of the time, often to remote regions with limited medical, transport, communications and lodging facilities
The consultancy will be for a period of six (6) months with the possibility of extension or transitioning to a full-time permanent role. Each month it takes an average of 20 days for work.
- 1st Stage: Review of resume and cover letter
- 2nd Stage: First Interview
- 3rd Stage: Case Study
- 4th Stage: Final interview
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of accountability, empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.