Senior Credit Analyst / Junior Loan Officer, Asia (Consultant)
Reports To: Interim Head of Lending, Africa and Indonesia
Job Type: Consultant
Region: Southeast Asia
Start Date: Q1-Q2 2019
Contact: Please apply by sending an email to Robbie Witkop, Root Capital's Interim Head of Lending for Africa and Indonesia, at email@example.com. All emails should contain "Indonesia Consultant, [last name], [first name]" in the subject line.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training, and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
The Senior Credit Analyst / Junior Loan Officer supports the growth and quality of Root Capital’s credit portfolio by collaborating with the Portfolio Manager and Loan officer in gathering, verifying and conducting financial and credit analysis of potential loans from rural small and medium enterprises (SMEs). S/he will also monitor the quality of outstanding loans. 25% travel is required to meet clients as part of the due diligence and monitoring process as well as to represent Root Capital at conferences and industry events. This position is based in Indonesia, though other locations can be considered for strong candidates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Credit Analysis (55%)
- Support the Portfolio Manager/Loan Officer to collect, verify, spread and analyze information for potential or actual credits in priority areas, mainly in sustainable agriculture.
- Prepare along with the Portfolio Managers/loan officers, the credit proposals/memos, for presentation and consideration by the credit committee. Deliver additional reports, regarding operations as required by the Portfolio Manager.
- Collaborate with designated team members in the organization to negotiate structure and legally document the loan documents. Support the closing process of each approved credit.
- Maintain relations with the client, as necessary and continuous monitoring of the activities for the approved credits, according to the procedures established by Root Capital. In collaboration with the Portfolio Manager/Loans Officer, establish key operational indicators for each client/credit. Review periodic management, financial and environmental reports delivered by the clients, and include updated projections in the evaluation of client’s credits. Travel to meet existing and potential clients as necessary.
- In collaboration with the Portfolio Manager/Loan Officer, review and update the qualification of risk during the analysis of the credit proposal and also during the life of the loan once it is disbursed.
- Analyze periodic monitoring reports from designated clients and third-party monitors; discuss with the Risk Manager.
- Support the execution of “due diligence” of businesses in every stage of the loan’s application, to ensure well-informed decision making and qualification of the risk involved. Critically analyze the financial statements and apply financial, commercial, environmental and social criteria to the actual and considered credits, providing recommendations for payment and monitoring the repayment of the loans disbursed.
- Complete periodic Risk Rating Engine reports in Salesforce for designated clients under the guidance of the Risk Manager.
- Ensure client covenant compliance in line with loan agreement/approved terms and conditions.
- Perform other duties as may be required from time to time.
Business Development (5%)
Attend conferences and trade shows, representing Root Capital with potential clients, donors, and investors
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Banking, Business Administration or related field.
- 5-7 years’ experience in financial and credit analysis, preferably in Indonesia
- Experience with small and medium enterprise (SME) or agricultural lending is desirable.
- 2 years’ experience in SME financial and credit analysis. Ability to understand and learn the organization’s credit policies and credit analysis requirement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required
- Good verbal communication skills in Bahasa required
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary. Additional knowledge of financial software is a plus.
- Ability to handle confidential information about the transactions and business activities of Root Capital and our clients.
- Strong interest in the field of social impact investing. Passionate about supporting the advancement of Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Indonesia.
- Willingness to travel to rural areas of Indonesia.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders across multiple geographies.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Proactive, service-oriented attitude.
- Strong attitude toward compliance
- Knowledge of coffee value chains a plus
- Authorized to work in Indonesia
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Domestic and international travel, up to 25% of the time, often to remote regions with limited medical, transport, communications and lodging facilities
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.