Senior Associate, Financial Analytics
Reports To: Sr. Director, Financial Analytics
Job Type: Full-time
Region: United States
Location: The Analyst will be expected to attend team and organizational events in Cambridge, MA, or other locations three-to-four weeks per year, likely commencing in Q3 of 2021.
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
The Financial Analytics Associate will play a key role on the Financial Analytics team, with a variety of responsibilities pertaining to financial model development and maintenance, reporting on elements of Root Capital's financial and programmatic performance, and coordination with Root Capital’s Data Council on management, governance, and use of financial and program data.
The Analyst will be expected to attend team and organizational events in Cambridge, MA, or other locations three-to-four weeks per year, likely commencing in Q3 of 2021.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.4 billion to improve the lives of over six million people in farming communities.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Data Management and Governance - 35%
Design and implementation of a Root Capital data governance program in partnership with the Senior Director of Analytics and IT department staff including:
- Development and implementation of new Data Governance policies, procedures, and standards.
- Establishing an enterprise data governance implementation roadmap including strategic priorities for the development of information-based capabilities.
- Defining roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for the stewardship of the company’s principal information assets.
- Establishing an Enterprise Data Catalog to ensure an accurate inventory of data assets and appropriate context to enable data analysts, data stewards, and other data consumers to find and understand appropriate datasets.
- Participating in the Root Capital Data Council, an interdepartmental group dedicated to the management and governance of financial, programmatic, and impact data.
- Participating in a variety of data governance-related activities, and ad hoc projects, including, for example, creating and maintaining a data dictionary.
Financial and Programmatic Performance Reporting and Analytics - 30%
- Produce regular financial and programmatic performance reports as well as customized analyses, for donors, investors, and internal audiences.
- Increase accessibility and usability of existing reports by developing new interfaces and testing various reporting platforms, including but not limited to Tableau and other data visualization packages.
- Assist with preparation of the Monthly Performance Dashboard, Board presentations, Quarterly Performance Reports, and other reports as requested.
- Support development of customized financial and lending projections and analysis for existing and prospective supporters and partners, working with FP&A, Development, and Lending staff as necessary.
Model Development and Maintenance - 35%
- Periodic model maintenance and data integration associated with the lending and budget models that form the backbone of Root Capital’s forecasting and reporting tools.
- Development and implementation of new reporting metrics within the models.
- Vetting, testing, and ensuring the integrity of underlying model data and accounts.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience required in data analysis, or another analytically-oriented field.
- Bachelors or advanced degree in a quantitatively-oriented field .(Economics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, etc.)
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working with Adaptive Planning or other financial reporting and data analysis information systems.
- Experience with data visualization applications (Tableau or equivalent).
- Interest in international development, nonprofit operations, and environmental sustainability.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to high data quality & accuracy.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.