Senior Associate, Financial Analytics
Reports To: Sr. Director, Financial Analytics
Job Type: Full-time
Region: United States
Location: Initially remote, eventual transition to Cambridge, MA
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
The Financial Analytics Associate will play a key role on the Financial Analytics team, with a variety of responsibilities pertaining to financial model development and maintenance, reporting on elements of Root Capital's financial and programmatic performance, and coordination with Root Capital’s Data Council on management, governance, and use of financial and program data.
While Root Capital’s Cambridge, MA office is officially closed temporarily due to the current pandemic, this position will initially be working remotely. Once the Cambridge office officially reopens, this position will be based in Cambridge and may require work from Root Capital’s Cambridge office subject to applicable health and safety requirements and regulations.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.4 billion to improve the lives of over six million people in farming communities.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Model Development and Maintenance - 35%
- Periodic model maintenance and data integration associated with the lending and budget models that form the backbone of Root Capital’s forecasting and reporting tools.
- Development and implementation of new reporting metrics within the models.
- Vetting, testing, and ensuring the integrity of underlying model data and accounts.
Data Management and Governance - 35%
Partner with the Senior Director of Analytics and IT department staff in the design and implementation of a Root Capital data governance program, including:
- Development and implementation of new Data Governance policies, procedures, and standards.
- Establish an enterprise data governance implementation roadmap including strategic priorities for the development of information-based capabilities.
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for the stewardship of the company’s principal information assets.
- Establish an Enterprise Data Catalog to ensure an accurate inventory of data assets and appropriate context to enable data analysts, data stewards, and other data consumers to find and understand appropriate datasets.
- Participate in the Root Capital Data Council, an interdepartmental group dedicated to the management and governance of financial, programmatic, and impact data.
- Participate in a variety of data governance-related activities, and ad hoc projects, including, by way of example, creating and maintaining a data dictionary.
Financial and Programmatic Performance Reporting - 30%
- Produce regular financial and programmatic performance reports for donors, investors, and internal audiences, under the supervision of senior FP&A personnel. Reports will be generated using the lending and budget models, Salesforce, and additional databases as required.
- Increase accessibility and usability of existing reports by developing new interfaces and testing various reporting platforms, including but not limited to Tableau and other data visualization packages.
- Assist with preparation of the Monthly Performance Dashboard, Board presentations, Quarterly Performance Reports, and other reports as requested.
- Support development of customized financial and lending projections and analysis for existing and prospective supporters and partners, working with FP&A, Development, and Lending staff as necessary.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience required in data analysis, or another analytically-oriented field.
- Bachelors or advanced degree in a quantitatively-oriented field .(Economics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, etc.)
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working with Adaptive Planning or other financial reporting and data analysis information systems.
- Experience with data visualization applications (Tableau or equivalent).
- Interest in international development, nonprofit operations, and environmental sustainability.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to high data quality & accuracy.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.