Senior Associate Finance and Accounting
Reports To: Controller
Job Type: Full-time
Region: United States
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of the impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace, and preserve vulnerable ecosystems. Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training, and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others do not. To date, we have loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
Working with Root Capital
- Work with a global, diverse and dynamic team based in the United States, Latin America, East Africa, West Africa, and Indonesia. Our team is highly collaborative and we regularly consult with one another to gain expertise or a new perspective.
- Flexibility: once a week, avoid the commute and join your team from the comfort of your home via video conference.
- Dress: dress in the way that makes you feel most productive, from business casual to jeans.
- Coffee: Did we mention the coffee? We take it very seriously; it’s high quality and always available!
The Senior Associate Finance and Accounting main responsibilities will be to support Root Capital’s investor management and accounting activities, treasury support and global timekeeping and expense system.
- Investor management and accounting activities (60%)
- Support day-to-day relationships with potential and existing investors, including communications, reporting and due diligence requests
- Support on-boarding of new investors and renewals of loans with existing investors
- Maintain relationship management database (Salesforce) and reconcile to financial systems including Intacct and Adaptive Planning
- Support the coordination of communication with the investor community
- Preparation of investor reporting including quarterly compliance
- Manage investment operations, including drafting, signing and maintaining loan documentation.
- Manage monthly payment process
- Analysis of investor program to streamline, optimize, and improving processes
- Assist with investor webinars and preparation of Quarterly Performance Report
- Treasury operations (15%)
- Provide backup coverage to support global cash operations including lending, internal and inter-entity transaction processing activities
- Assist in treasury systems data migration and other special projects as needed
- Global timekeeping and expense system (15%)
- Assist with implementation of global timekeeping and expense system
- Provide support for the systems operations including management of data (employee, programs, budgets)
- Ensure data integrity and quality between Root’s systems
- Assistance with special projects including data migration, financial planning and analysis, treasury and accounting support (10%)
Qualifications & Experience
- 2-4 years of professional experience. Relevant and proven experience developing relationships with clients and within organization
- Bachelor’s degree required in finance, international development/politics, business, accounting or other discipline requiring both strong analytical and presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Understanding of and passion for financial markets, international development, and/or impact investing
- Entrepreneurial spirit and professional maturity; ability to work independently, yet know when to seek support
- Collaborative work style; works well on a team. Able to adapt to a rapidly changing environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience analyzing and synthesizing data and information. Ability to effectively present information and data in a clear and compelling manner.
Commensurate with experience.