Regional Manager, Credit Administration
Reports To:Senior Director of Credit Administration
Region: East Africa
Contact:Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Regional Manager, Credit Administration, Africa & Asia will oversee Root Capital’s credit administration function in the regions of Africa & Asia. This includes ensuring documentation and loan closings in accordance with approved loan terms, local regulations and Root Capital policy and procedures, loan servicing that ensures excellent customer service, maintaining documentation templates, departmental procedure manuals and databases of third part service providers and proactively participating in continuous improvements to policy and procedures. S(he) will manage credit administration officers that support the lending operations in the subregions where Root Capital is currently serving: West Africa, Indonesia and East Africa. S(he) will work closely with the Legal Team in Cambridge and serve as the primary, administrative point of contact with local counsel in region.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Loan Documentation and Closing
- Supervise credit administration officers in their assigned sub-regions of West Africa, Indonesia and East Africa.
- Ensure loan documents drafted by regional credit administration associates or local counsel are drafted in accordance with approved terms and Root Capital lending policy.
- Draft loan documents for complex cases, as requested and with the support of the Sr. Director of Credit Administration.
- Oversee loan servicing and ensure compliance with loan terms as well as excellent customer service.
Third Party Lending and Guarantees
- In coordination with the lending team and General Counsel, draft additional documentation using approved templates as needed for loan syndications, inter-creditors and participations and coordinate the internal approval of each as required per the Root Capital lending policy.
- Ensure compliance with unique covenants and reporting requirements of individual participation agreements and syndicated loans.
- Review reports and claims related to third party guarantees, as required.
Development and Maintenance of Loan Document Templates and Credit Administration Manuals
- Collaborate with Root Capital’s General Counsel and the Sr. Director of Credit Administration to maintain up-to-date template loan documents and notices.
- Actively participate in the process to develop, maintain and continuously improve Root Capital’s loan closing procedures manual.
Third Party Service Provider Coordination
- In coordination with the Sr. Director of Credit Administration, Regional Risk Officer and General Counsel, serve as the primary point of contact with local counsel and carry out the steps needed identify and hire qualified appraisers, third party monitors and collateral managers in the counties of their assigned region.
- Support regional workout and collections staff with the preparation of default and other client notices, review existing legal documentation sharing any findings with Risk Management prior to turning over files for a judicial collection.
Preservation of Loan Documents and Files
- Ensure proper execution, management and custody of electronic and original loan documents originating in region.
External Audit, Compliance, and Monitoring
- Support Sr. Director in Credit Administration in providing loan documentation and coordinating balance confirmation for external audits.
- Ensure KYC/AFT policies and procedures are complied with in region.
Lending Policy and Procedure Improvement and Training
- Participate in the development, review and continuous improvement of lending policy and processes.
- Contribute to the development of training material and deliver training on Lending Policy and Procedures as they relate to the functions overseen by Credit Administration, as needed.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Law Degree with banking experience, preferred or a Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in finance, accounting; Masters degree, a plus
- Five to Seven years of experience in loan documentation and closing, required.
- Fluency in English required; Fluency in French or Bahasa Indonesian, a plus.
- Strong organizational and communication skills with an ability to manage and accomplish multiple tasks on an agreed time-frame through effective prioritization of duties, required.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.