Quality Assurance Officer
Reports To: Advisory Services Manager
Job Type: Full-time employee
Location: Costa Rica, Mexico, or Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
Root Capital's Advisory Services team provides financial and business management training to small and growing businesses in Latin America, Africa and Asia through highly specialized and customized consultancy services and adult teaching methodologies.
This position will work closely with the Advisory Global Director and Advisory Managers to accomplish the following objectives:
- Ensure the development and implementation of quality control and results monitoring processes and tools, designed to guarantee that Root Capital’s Advisory services consistently meet the quality standards required to drive impact, safeguard customer satisfaction, and strengthen competitiveness. This role will coordinate with key internal and external stakeholders to define quality and impact standards and to make sure teams meet them, ensure tools and processes are usable and reliable, and provide the necessary decision-making information around performance and results.
- Play a lead coordinating role for two important Advisory lenses - Gender and Youth. This position will coordinate closely with the Advisory field teams to ensure that existing policies to increase gender- and age- equitable inclusion and impact are being implemented, as well as strengthen existing policies and identify the need for new policies to drive impact around these topics.
This position’s primary responsibilities are:
Assessing the quality assurance needs and gaps, developing and testing the tools and processes needed in coordination with Advise management teams, and analyzing and reporting on results, in order to continue quality-related innovation and improvement. The position will also project manage the implementation of at least one quality assurance workstream already under-way: the Enterprise Progression Framework. Lastly, the role will work with other regional champions to refine and develop tools to strengthen the impact of Advisory Services on gender issues and youth inclusion. All the activities are to take place through close coordination with, and participation from, the Regional Advise Managers responsible for the successful implementation of Advisory Services.
Gap and Needs Assessment (15%)
- Review existing quality assurance and results measurement systems and tools (including implementation rates, frequency, accuracy and team satisfaction with process and results).
- Identify and validate quality assurance gaps to prioritize and plan for the development of new standards, procedures and tools as required.
- Identify training needs and coordinate with Advisory managers the needed interventions to meet quality standards.
Tool and Process Assurance and Development (50%)
- Research and consolidate updated information on adult training methodologies, business training, impact monitoring and related themes, to support Regional Advisory Managers.
- Promote regional innovation and global sharing and standard-setting in results monitoring and quality control mechanisms.
- Develop, plan and coordinate pilots for (new) quality and results measurement tools or mechanisms in the regions.
- Foster ongoing compliance with quality assurance mechanisms. Promote and facilitate regional documentation of quality assurance and monitoring activities.
- Conduct or coordinate all necessary translation of tools as required.
Results Analysis, Reporting and Follow-Up (5%)
- Key stakeholder surveys: Design and deliver surveys for Advisory stakeholders (including clients, Root Capital Lending, etc.), analyze and report on results, support regional management in following up on results, including customer complaints.
- Compile, analyze and document global data and results for internal and external reporting. Prepare and present analytic reports on the outcomes.
- Develop feedback mechanisms by which Global and Regional Advisory Managers have access to timely, relevant and informative data on the quality and results of Advisory services in their regions.
The Enterprise Progression Framework (20%)
This position will support a workstream already underway to define and operationalize an enterprise progression framework. Root Capital will use this framework to measure success in moving businesses across the spectrum of business-level capacities, to create more and differentiated value for our clients and to better communicate this value to other audiences.
- Project manage multiple working groups under the umbrella of the Enterprise Progression Framework, ensuring the flow of information across all teams involved and the timeliness of each working group’s progress.
- Work with the Advisory Services team to map client progression stages to Root Capital's value proposition and suite of available or needed advisory and Lending services.
- Assess how diagnostic / performance management tools and processes in use by the Root Capital team map to the client progression spectrum, and identify any gaps in existing tools and processes
- Based on findings of gaps, work with other Root Capital departments to develop and test new tools, processes and systems to place businesses on spectrum and measure their movement across it
- Support Advisory Services Manager in creating a performance management process for the EPF, to be used in analyzing business movement across spectrum and incorporating learnings into operational decision-making
- Support Advisory Services Manager in summarizing workstream findings for internal and external (in collaboration with IR) audiences
Gender and Youth Lens (10%)
- Project manage participatory process to formally define Advisory’s vision for gender and youth inclusion in our work and in our clients, and to identify potential opportunities to achieve this vision through the development of new tools / offerings or refinement of existing ones
- Based on opportunities identified, and pending funding availability, develop, plan and coordinate pilots to increase gender and youth focus of Advisory, in close coordination with Advisory field teams
Qualifications and Experience
- 3-6 years of relevant experience; e.g., small business training, impact monitoring, impact investing, quality assurance, or related.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Agriculture, Business, International Development, or equivalent is required; graduate degree preferred.
- English and Spanish fluency required. French preferred.
- Basic understanding of contemporary models for providing financial services to rural businesses; specifically, SME/SGB lending and/or microfinance.
- Knowledge of technical assistance models and methodologies; emphasis on financial management of small and growing businesses. Practical experience providing technical assistance to rural SGB’s preferred.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance concepts, tools and methodologies, including data collection, management and analysis abilities and experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to listen effectively, and to communicate complex ideas in compelling form.
- Collaborative and empathetic work style, works well on a team, horizontally and across departments with coworkers outside direct reporting lines. Customer service and solutions-oriented approach.
- Attention to detail. Strong planning and organization skills.
- Able to adapt to a rapidly changing environment. Entrepreneurial spirit and professional maturity; ability to work independently, think creatively, and a willingness to seek support when needed.
- Experience with development initiatives in Latin America and/or Africa, preferably in the areas of youth, gender, impact investing, micro-enterprise/cooperative development, or financial training
- Demonstrated commitment to innovative solutions concerning the challenges facing small and growing businesses in developing countries
- Passion for Root Capital’s commitment to worldwide poverty alleviation and environmental conservation.
- Must be authorized to work in USA, Costa Rica, or Mexico.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of: empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.