Proposal Development Consultant
Reports To: Akosua Ampofo-Siever, Senior Partnerships Manager
Job Type: 8-12 week part-time consultancy
Region: West Africa
Location: Accra, Ghana
Start Date: July 1, 2019
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
The Proposal Development Consultant will work with the Root Capital Development team and regional teams to build on an existing agricultural finance project design.
The Proposal Development Consultant will be responsible for reviewing technical solutions identified by Root Capital that address the agricultural finance gap in Ghana, and translating these solutions into a clearly articulated, comprehensive and compelling proposal for public sector funders. S/he will lead coordination activities among agricultural finance stakeholders in Ghana and incorporate winning themes and other strategies developed by Root Capital Program teams into the proposal document.
This is an 8- 12 week part-time consultancy based in Accra, Ghana.
- Work with Root Capital Development team and program staff to review and translate technical solutions and project design into a clearly articulated, compelling, and compliant proposal document.
- Serve as the lead writer for developing proposal content related to agricultural finance in Ghana that addresses/complies with the requirements outlined in the solicitation. The proposal should incorporate winning themes and other strategies developed through agricultural finance and trade policy stakeholder meeting(s), and by the Root Capital Development team and program teams.
Required Skills and Experiences
- Minimum of 8 years of experience contributing to project design and proposal development in subject matter areas, including agricultural finance for small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), organizational capacity-building, and food security/livelihoods.
- Knowledge and understanding of cross-cutting requirements in international development, including monitoring and evaluation, gender mainstreaming, technology and innovation, capacity building and training.
- Strong conceptual, analytical, writing, and editing skills, including the ability to synthesize large amounts of information into concise narratives.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks, time management, adherence to tight deadlines, and the ability to handle multiple activities simultaneously.
Preferred Skills and Experiences
- Track record designing and authoring successful projects (including USAID, EU, etc.)
- Experience working with food and cash crop value chain stakeholders in West Africa
To apply, please email your application to Akosua Ampofo Siever (email@example.com) by June 26, 2019.
The application should include:
- Brief cover letter indicating your earliest start date and your daily rate.
- Writing sample