Portfolio Risk Analyst
Reports To: Chief Credit Officer
Job Type: Full-time
Region: Central America & Mexico - East Africa - South America - United States
Location: Remote (open to any country where Root Capital has an office: Colombia, Costa Rica, Kenya, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, or the United States)
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
The Portfolio Risk Analyst is responsible for preparing portfolio level reporting and analysis, including portfolio quality, portfolio concentrations, and industry and country analysis, as well as for maintaining certain underwriting tools. The Portfolio Risk Analyst will also support lessons learned analysis and the development of underwriting guidelines, as well as the monthly risk review process and the process and materials related to various committees - the Risk Appetite Committee, the Risk Oversight Committee, and the Credit Sub-Committee.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.7 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Portfolio Analysis and Risk Monitoring (40%)
- Perform reporting and analysis of the portfolio at risk.
- Act as a resource for portfolio quality related data requests from other departments.
- Maintain and monitor and portfolio concentration reporting to ensure proper monitoring of the portfolio’s risk profile as it relates to Root Capital’s stated risk appetite.
- Develop and maintain industry analysis related to key industries in the portfolio, particularly coffee.
- Support the Senior Risk Manager with the development and maintenance of country portfolio reports.
- Improve the format and presentation of portfolio quality reports as needed
Underwriting Tools (40%)
- Maintain an Excel based financial analysis workbook as well as related elements in a Salesforce based financial spreading database. Provide user support as needed.
- Support the development and maintenance of two related borrower risk rating models used for underwriting and monitoring
- Support the development of underwriting guidelines
Risk Review (10%)
- Provide back-up and support to the regional Risk Management teams in relation to the monthly risk review process.
- Confirm the accuracy of month-end risk ratings in the system and support the Accounting department with the inputs for the month-end allowance for loan losses as necessary.
Committee Support (10%)
- Provide meeting management and materials support for the Risk Oversight Committee, the Risk Appetite Committee, and the Credit Sub-Committee.
- Bachelor's degree, finance, economics, or a related field
- 3+ years professional experience in financial services or international development
- Credit training or experience with credit operations, accounting, or financial analysis strongly preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong spreadsheet skills
- Salesforce experience a plus
- Highly detail oriented with an ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Spanish
- Working knowledge of French a plus
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
U.S applicants: Root Capital Inc. participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government your I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, see here. Learn more about your right to work.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.