Reports To: Head of Lending and General Manager, East Africa
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Region: East Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Portfolio Manager, together with the Root Capital team, is responsible for the following activities in Kenya: actively work to identify potential borrowers; proactively make contact with loan leads and provide information on Root Capital’s credit services. Analyze loan applicants using rigorous financial, environmental, and social criteria; present loan analysis to Root Capital’s internal and external credit committees for decision; close loans, including ensuring complete documentation; monitor existing loans to ensure timely repayment; and assist in coordinating training and technical assistance on financial management to selected candidates and clients.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.4 billion to improve the lives of over six million people in farming communities.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Business Development (20%)
- Developing pipeline of qualified loan candidates in East Africa where Root Capital is present. Developing networks of referrals, including value chain actors, technical assistance providers, and trade associations. Presenting Root Capital’s credit offerings to and invite loan applications from qualified businesses.
- Assessing client’s credit and advisory needs and recommending appropriate mix of Root Capital services.
- Actively managing and maintaining a pipeline of loan opportunities.
- Working closely with Business Development to ensure growth and strength of exiting and on-boarding of relative value chains.
Underwriting and loan closing (30%)
- Collecting information about loan applicants as specified by Root Capital’s credit policies.
- Ensuring that all proposed loans meet Root Capital’s criteria for credit quality and security.
- Performing due diligence to verify client information, including conducting site visits and management interviews.
- Conduct financial, operational and management analysis of applicant companies, working with the credit analyst in Nairobi.
- Working closely with Credit Administration in relation to transactions involving third party lenders. Communicating and negotiating terms as required.
- Preparing credit memos, presenting analysis, and making credit recommendations to Root Capital’s credit committees for decision-making, following Root Capital’s credit underwriting policies and procedures.
- Applying Root Capital’s social and environmental impact criteria. Supporting Root Capital’s portfolio servicing personnel to close loans, including ensuring proper documentation.
Client Relationship Management (30%)
- Monitoring active loans, working with the credit analyst, to analyze client performance, track compliance with covenants and reporting requirements, and develop risk ratings.
- Leading communication with Root Capital clients to address identified deficiencies in active loans. In heightened risk situations, collaborate with Risk Manager to devise and implement a collections strategy.
- Customer Service management, facilitating and coordinating with Credit Admin and Treasury for all loan servicing needs, resolving customer issues as they arise.
Management and development of Credit Analyst (10%)
- Setting work plans and performance expectations, and providing ongoing and timely performance feedback to credit analyst.
- Ensuring credit analyst has the information, resources, tools, and support to be effective and motivated.
Advisory Services (10%)
- Collaborating with the Advisory Services Manager, East Africa to address financial management weaknesses of prospective and existing clients as necessary by facilitating training provision through qualified local consultants
- Helping to develop a training plan, and work with local trainers to ensure effective implementation.
The ideal candidate will have:
- University degree in Business Management and post-graduate diploma in Project Management.
- Experience working in agricultural, commercial, and SME finance, with a minimum of five years of exposure in agribusiness and social lending.
- Have Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Able to work under pressure, establish and maintain deadlines and can coordinate easily with multiple people across the organization.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary.
- Strong interest in the field of socially impact investing.
- Passionate about supporting the advancement of Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Africa.
- Flexible to travel within rural areas of East Africa.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Domestic and international travel, often to remote regions with limited medical, transport, communications and lodging facilities
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter. More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org.