Portfolio Manager, Ghana
Reports To: Head of Lending, Africa
Job Type: Full-time//Regional based
Region: West Africa
Location: Ghana (Remote)
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply using the form below
The Portfolio Manager, together with the Root Capital team, is responsible for the following activities in Ghana: actively work to identify potential borrowers; proactively make contact with loan leads and provide information on Root Capital’s credit services, analyze loan applicants using rigorous financial, environmental, and social criteria; present loan analysis to Root Capital’s internal and external credit committees for decision making; close on loans, including ensuring complete documentation; monitor existing loans to ensure timely repayment; and assist in coordinating training and technical assistance on financial management to selected candidates and clients.
1. Business Development (20%)
- Developing a pipeline of qualified loan candidates in Ghana where Root Capital is present. Developing networks of referrals, including value chain actors, technical assistance providers, and trade associations. Presenting Root Capital’s credit offers and inviting loan applications from qualified businesses
- Assessing client’s credit and advisory needs and recommending appropriate mix of Root Capital services.
- Actively managing and maintaining a pipeline of loan opportunities.
2. Underwriting and loan closing (30%)
- Collecting information about loan applicants as specified by Root Capital’s credit policies.
- Ensuring that all proposed loans meet Root Capital’s criteria for credit quality and security
- Performing due diligence to verify client information, including conducting site visits and management interviews.
- Conduct financial, operational and management analysis of applicant companies, working with the Credit Analyst.
- Working closely with Credit Administration in relation to transactions involving third party lenders. Communicating and negotiating terms as required.
- Preparing credit memos, presenting analysis, and making credit recommendations to Root Capital’s credit committees for decision-making, following Root Capital’s credit underwriting policies and procedures.
- Applying Root Capital’s social and environmental impact criteria. Supporting Root Capital’s portfolio servicing personnel to close loans, including ensuring proper documentation.
3. Client Relationship Management (40%)
- Monitoring active loans, working with the credit analyst, to analyze client performance, track compliance with covenants and reporting requirements, and develop risk ratings.
- Leading communication with Root Capital clients to address identified deficiencies in active loans. In heightened risk situations, collaborate with Risk Manager to devise and implement a collections strategy.
- Customer Service management, facilitating and coordinating with Credit Admin and Treasury for all loan servicing needs, resolving customer issues as they arise.
4. Advisory Services (10%)
- Collaborating with the Regional Advisory Services Manager to address financial management weaknesses of prospective and existing clients as necessary by facilitating training provision through qualified local consultants
- Helping to develop a training plan, and work with local trainers to ensure effective implementation.
- Performing other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience and proven track record in agricultural, SME finance, Commercial/ development Banking or Financial institutional environment in Ghana.
- University degree in Business management, Accounting, Finance, Statistics, Economics, or any other relevant field from a recognized university
- Strong Credit Proposal Underwriting, Financial Analysis and Business Analysis skills.
- Able to work under pressure, establish and maintain deadlines and can coordinate easily with multiple people across the organization.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary.
- Strong interest in the field of social impact investing.
- Passionate about supporting the advancement of Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Africa.
- Flexible to travel within rural areas of Africa.
- Excellent communication skills in English language.
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission.
- Authorized to work in Ghana.