Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Associate
Reports To:Senior Impact Analyst
Region: Central America & Mexico-East Africa-South America-United States
Location:Open; must be authorized to work in the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia, or Kenya
Contact:Please apply by filling out the form below.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
About Our Impact Team
Root Capital’s Impact Team team holds three main functions: we monitor, measure, and manage the social and environmental performance of our Lending program; we track the implementation and uptake of our Advisory Services; and we conduct deep-dive evaluations to understand the impact of our Lending and Advisory services on our client businesses, as well as their contributions to smallholder communities in sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, and Indonesia. We design monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) systems; collect and analyze data from hundreds of businesses and thousands of farmers a year; and communicate our findings internally and externally to inform our work and contribute evidence to the broader fields of agricultural finance and enterprise capacity building.
The M&E Associate will support the Impact team with two critical areas of work:
- Research assistance, data cleaning and analysis, and reporting on Root Capital impact evaluations.
- Systems development, data analysis, team capacity building, and knowledge management for Root Capital’s Advisory monitoring program.
Under the first area of work, the M&E Associate will support activities across the impact evaluation process, including survey development, data collection, data cleaning, and preliminary data analysis. The M&E Associate will also create data visualizations and contribute research assistance and copy editing for evaluation reports. Finally, the M&E Associate will assist in the preparation of study presentations, conduct literature reviews on developments in evaluation methodology, and support study administration. Under the second area of work, the M&E Associate will support the design and validation of monitoring tools for Root Capital’s Advisory Services, train staff, conduct data cleaning and analysis, promote knowledge management, and contribute to M&E capacity building organization-wide.
The M&E Associate will report to Isabel DoCampo, Senior Impact Analyst. The M&E Associate will collaborate closely with the entire Impact team, especially the MEL Officer for Advisory Services, as well as Root Capital staff across our global offices. This role represents an exciting opportunity for candidates with a passion for monitoring, evaluation, and learning to apply and deepen their technical expertise within a global, cross-functional and multicultural team committed to rigorous impact measurement.
Impact Evaluation Support (50%)
- Survey Preparation and Data Collection
- Conduct literature reviews and coordinate survey development and programming processes for Root Capital impact evaluations
- Draft and edit materials for enumerator training; coordinate enumerator training and data collection efforts with consultants and data collection firms in rural communities in Latin America, Africa and Indonesia as needed
- Data Cleaning, Analysis, and Reporting
- Clean data according to Impact Team standards and assist in preliminary analysis of quantitative and qualitative data; ensure that Impact team data is accessible and properly formatted
- Prepare preliminary summaries of data analysis and/or research findings, including text, charts, data visualizations, and presentations (for internal and external audiences)
- Provide research assistance and copy editing for impact evaluation reports
- Study Administration
- Support impact evaluation administration (i.e. coordinating among various Root Capital teams to obtain client approvals, managing invoices, scheduling meetings and presentations).
Advisory Monitoring Support (50%)
- Advisory Monitoring Systems Development
- Support design and validation processes for Theory of Change and M&E Plans with global and regional staff for Root Capital’s Advisory Services, which include capacity building on financial management, business intelligence, and climate resilience for small-and-growing businesses
- Coordinate testing processes for data collection tools/templates to monitor Advisory performance indicators across different regions. Conduct training sessions for Advisory team in tools use and implementation
- Advisory Data Management and Quality Assurance
- Clean and prepare raw data for analysis; conduct complex data analysis with guidance from the MEL Officer for Advisory Services
- Collaborate on the design of global dashboards and reports on Advisory M&E findings
- Organization-Wide Capacity Building and Knowledge Management
- Conduct literature reviews and desk research to inform programs and M&E systems
- Coordinate reflection processes regarding M&E findings and staff training workshops.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, economic development, social sciences, environmental sciences, or related field; familiarity with impact investing and/or agricultural finance strongly preferred.
- At least one year of professional experience in survey research, including data collection, cleaning and analysis, or other relevant work incorporating quantitative and qualitative research, ideally in a low- or medium-income setting.
- Knowledge of experimental and quasi-experimental impact evaluation methods. Strong analytical abilities and quantitative skills.
- Proven experience and skills in developing monitoring, evaluation, and learning tools, including Theory of Change and Logical Frameworks.
- Proficiency in STATA (or other coding language, such as SPSS or R) required; proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Google Workspace. Proficiency in data visualization software (Tableau or similar) and data collection platforms (SurveyCTO or similar) preferred.
- Superior written and oral communication skills in English. Working proficiency (ability to read and write internal communications and converse with internal staff) in Spanish required. Proven ability to produce clear reports for technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Self-starter with ability to flexibly manage multiple tasks in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment.
- Willingness to travel to rural communities in Latin America, Africa and/or Indonesia 1-3 times per year.
- Service-oriented mindset with the ability to proactively and creatively identify and address program needs.
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.