Impact Study Consultant
Reports To: Katie Naeve, Senior Impact and Partnership Manager
Job Type: 6-8 week consultancy over an approximate 13 month period
Location: Aceh, Indonesia
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Interested applications should send their CV and a brief email cover letter to Katie Naeve at email@example.com
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
Background for Impact Study
Across low- and middle-income countries, the rural poor, who make up 75 percent of the 2.6 billion people living on less than $2 a day, are marginalized from the formal economy. Most depend on agriculture as their primary source of income. Without viable markets for their crops, millions of small-scale farmers remain trapped in enduring poverty.
Agricultural enterprises such as farmer cooperatives and agroprocessing businesses play an important role in improving farmer livelihoods by linking farmers to more reliable and better-paying markets than they can access on their own, and often providing essential auxiliary services to those farmers such as technical training and access to agricultural inputs and credit. Root Capital invests in the growth of these agricultural enterprises so that they can catalyze economic growth and transform rural communities. Root Capital also helps enterprises—often earlier stage businesses—overcome critical challenges and improve their ability to acquire and manage financing through interactive, tailored training from our Advisory services. Advisory services are available to potential borrowers and existing lending clients through either centralized workshops or customized training. Enterprises participating in our customized training benefit from one-on-one consulting with an expert in enterprise financial management. We work directly with each enterprise to assess their current practices, develop a customized plan, and provide on-site training for enterprise staff to put new knowledge and practices into action.
One of the ways Root Capital measures its impact on agricultural enterprises and the impact of these enterprises on farmers, communities and the environment is through deep dive impact studies. We have conducted impact studies to measure the likely impact of our lending with over 30 clients to date. We are now launching our first study to measure the likely impact of our Advisory services on the knowledge, practices, growth, and resilience of rural agricultural enterprises.
Specifically, this evaluation will focus on four Root Capital Advisory clients (agricultural enterprises that receive technical assistance, and in some cases financing, from Root Capital) in the Indonesian coffee sector. It will include both a 1) process evaluation to help us understand whether the services were implemented as planned and identify successes and challenges to inform future programming; and 2) a mixed-method impact assessment to identify whether businesses participating in our Advisory services gain new knowledge and improve their financial management practices in order to gain adequate financing, accelerate their growth, and build their resilience to financial and climate-related shocks.
This study will be carried out with four new Root Capital Advisory clients in Indonesia between November 2018 and December 2019. Data collection will mainly include three rounds spanning this approximately 13-month period:
- Baseline data collection: November 15-30, 2018
- Follow-up data collection: June, 2019 (exact dates TBD)
- Endline data collection: December 2019 (exact dates TBD)
Each round of data collection will include 1) pre- and post-training knowledge and capacity assessments with enterprise staff; 2) qualitative interviews with enterprise leadership and staff participating in the training, as well as other stakeholders; 3) acquisition of businesses financial management data, documents and systems. Each round of data collection is anticipated to span approximately 1-2 weeks.
Additional data collection over the 13 month period may be required to monitoring service delivery or conduct short surveys, requiring an additional 1-2 days of work per month, and visits to each of the four enterprises.
The consultant will perform the following functions:
- Review and advise on the development of survey instruments;
- Travel to each enterprise in Aceh, Indonesia for data collection
- Administer assessments and conduct interviews with relevant personnel and leadership at each enterprise
- Monitor the implementation of the training sessions
- Enter and code any data not collected electronically
- Translate and transcribe interviews
- Submit a debriefing memo following each round of data collection that describes the data collection process, challenges, and outcomes
- Depending on consultant interest and qualifications, there may be an opportunity to participate in data analysis as well
- Work in close collaboration with Advisory implementing team (based in the Kenya and Indonesia) and impact study team (based in the US)
Deliverables will include:
- Feedback on data collection tools (November, 2018)
- Cleaned data following each phase of data collection (November 2018, June 2019, and December 2019)
- Debreifing memo following each phase of data collection (3 memos)
- Translated and transcribed interviews following each phase of data collection
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 2-3 years of experience conducting qualitative and quantitative data collection, ideally in Indonesia
- Strong familiarity with monitoring and evaluation methodologies and study designs
- Knowledge of agricultural enterprises, small and growing enterprises (SMEs), and/or enterprise-level technical assistance provision
- Basic understanding of financial management systems and processes
- Experience working on a study focused on SMEs and/or technical assistance provision
- Strong data entry and coding skills
- Ability to conduct interviews and assessments in Bahasa Indonesia
- Available during the tentative data collection dates: November 2018, June 2019, and December 2019, as well as 1-2 days each month from November 2018-December
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.