Reports To: Senior Social & Environmental Performance Manager
Job Type: Full-time, exempt, based in Cambridge, MA
Location: United States
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
The Impact Analyst will primarily support the management of social and environmental (S&E) data critical to Root Capital’s mission as an impact investor. The Analyst will manage, analyze, and report on S&E performance data for Root Capital’s global portfolio of agricultural businesses; and assist in applying data insights to the organization’s lending and advisory programs. More broadly, the Analyst will support management of Root Capital’s S&E monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems and serve as a resource on S&E matters for internal and external stakeholders.
The Impact Analyst will also support the development and implementation of Root Capital’s climate resilience programming through data analysis, project administration, and coordination with external technical partners (e.g., agricultural research institutes).
The Impact Analyst will report to Elizabeth Teague, Senior S&E Performance Manager, and will work closely with Katie Naeve, Senior Impact and Partnerships Manager. The Analyst will collaborate extensively with Root Capital staff across our global offices and with external partners, including with some of the agricultural businesses Root Capital supports. The position represents an exciting opportunity for candidates with experience in impact/ESG data management or investing to apply and deepen their technical expertise within a cross-functional, multicultural team.
Social & Environmental Risk Management (55%)
- Review S&E performance data for incoming loan opportunities, along with other members of the Impact Department, as part of the organization’s lending due diligence process; support the Senior S&E Performance Manager in responding to S&E compliance concerns;
- Prepare regular S&E performance reports and projections for internal and external audiences; identify drivers of S&E risk and positive impact through independent analysis;
- Maintain Root Capital’s S&E compliance policies, tools, and internal training materials; identify and help implement opportunities for continuous improvement; and
- Serve as a technical resource for Root Capital staff.
Climate Resilience Programming (30%)
- Support analysis of climate risk data for Root Capital’s global portfolio;
- Support financial modeling of climate adaptation practices relevant to Root Capital’s portfolio;
- Support coordination of climate resilience programming across Root Capital teams and offices; and
- Support coordination with external partners.
Social & Environmental Impact Evaluation (15%)
- Clean and analyze data from mixed-method impact evaluations conducted by Root Capital;
- Support preparation of knowledge products on evaluation findings, including presentations for evaluation participants, narrative reports for external audiences, and meta-analyses for internal audiences; and
- Support impact evaluation administration and internal knowledge management.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of professional experience in impact finance or entrepreneurship, ESG investment management, climate finance or advocacy, sustainability standards, management consulting, or a related field.
- Experience with data collection, management, and analysis. Proven ability to produce and present compelling reports for both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel; proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, or equivalents. Experience with statistical software (preferably Stata) and/or Salesforce preferred.
- Superior written and oral communication skills in English. Working proficiency (ability to read and write internal communications and converse with internal staff) in Spanish is a firm requirement. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences (Root Capital staff across our global offices, donors and investors, technical partners).
- Attention to detail. Strong organization and project management skills.
- Self-starter with ability to flexibly manage and prioritize multiple competing tasks; ability to thrive in a dynamic and entrepreneurial team environment.
- Willingness to occasionally (1-2 times per year) travel in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, often in remote areas.
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of: empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.