Human Resources and Admin. Manager, East and West Africa
Reports To: Global HR Director
Job Type: Full-time
Location: East Africa
Start Date: March 1, 2019
Contact: Please apply by January 8, 2019 using the form below.
Application form: https://goo.gl/4kyvaS
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training, and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
Root Capital seeks an experienced, driven and innovative Human Resources Manager for our Africa Region.
At the highest level, this role conducts all aspects of Employee Life Cycle in West and East Africa and oversees the office administration in our Kenya office. S/he ensures that staff are well oriented to the organization, feel supported, engaged, and motivated, and understand core HR processes. S/he works in close partnership with the HR team and leaders in regional offices to stay aligned and/or implement core systems and processes and promotes organizational culture. Furthermore, as the Office Administrator, s/he will oversee the management of the Kenya office to foster global operations standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This role requires a results-oriented and courageous business partner who relates well with staff and leaders at all levels of the organization, striking the balance between business leader and employee advocate. Critical to success is the ability to demonstrate an understanding of the organization and the region, and shape an agenda that improves the effectiveness of the organizational model.
Manage all aspects of employee life cycle (65%)
- Execute and administer HR process: recruiting, onboarding, retention, training and development, performance management, transitions, data management
- Manage payroll administration (internal and with outsourcing companies) in full compliance with each country’s statutory requirements and Root Capital’s requirements
- Assist in the planning, preparation and provision of training on HR related topics
- Manage employee relations by, inter alia, building and fostering connections with local staff to understand their circumstances and their needs
- Oversee and ensure compliance with local labor laws and other regulatory requirements
- Maintain HR and Admin. handbooks for the Africa region
- Ensure employee transitions are handled professionally, sensitively, in compliance with labor laws, and that they are properly documented
Office Management and Admin. Coordination (35%)
- Oversee internal communications for the Africa region (intranet management)
- Implement employee security plans, policies, and practices
- Ensure that employee records are up to date
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- IHRM Certification
- Minimum of five (5) years as an HR Manager in a position with similar or closely-related functional responsibilities
- Experience managing remote teams
- At least two (2) years of experience working in a global organization, with cross-cultural awareness
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission
- Authorized to work in Kenya
- Experience working for a non-profit organization is preferred
- Fluency in English
Required Skills and Abilities
- Engage: Ability to understand organizational context and priorities. Ask questions and develop informed points of view. Deliver on tactical support and identify ways to deliver incremental value to the business.
- Connect: Ability to establish trust and credibility with the HR team and all staff through effective communication, collaboration, and consistently meeting commitments.
- Champion: Represent Root Capital and regional points of view in the development of HR priorities, effectively advocate for, and implement, HR priorities within Global context.
- Adjust: Root Capital is a complex and fast-paced environment and one that is constantly evolving. This role can be ambiguous and requires a leader who can think critically and be agile to change course to achieve objectives. Leading through change is key.
- Problem-solve: Ability to approach work with an analytical and solution-oriented mindset. Understand the root cause of problems/issues, and leverage data to build a business case for change. Apply an end-to-end view when developing and implementing solutions to problems/issues.
- Partner: Effectively navigate within a globally matrixed HR team, and execute in alignment with the global Root Capital strategy.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.