Reports To: Senior Manager, Development Strategy and Operations
Job Type: Full-time
Region: United States
Location: Cambridge, MA (preferred) with option for remote work with periodic travel to Root Capital's office in Cambridge.
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Grant Writer leads in the development of compelling grant proposals to support the growth of Root Capital’s work of investing in agricultural enterprises so they become engines of impact that transform rural communities in Latin America, Africa, and Indonesia . This includes coordinating the workflow of the grant development process and writing complex concept notes and proposals. Additionally, the Grant Writer supports the Grant Writing team on producing donor reports on a as needed basis. This is a mission critical position that is responsible for writing concept notes and proposals for multiple types of donor audiences, from individuals to foundations to government agencies that provide multi-year, multi-million dollar grants.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over ten million people in farming communities.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Grant Proposal Development and Writing (70%)
- Lead the development and drafting of grant proposals and concept notes for the organization.
- Manage proposal development work plan and timeline, in collaboration with Development colleagues as well as colleagues across other departments (such as Impact, Financial Planning & Analysis, Advisory, and Lending).
- Principal contributor to project design for proposals, including:
- Working with regional programs teams and external-facing Development colleagues to ensure proposals align with both Root Capital’s strategy and donor priorities;
- Developing strategic framing and messaging about key objectives, activities, and expected outcomes of proposed work, and ensuring that proposals demonstrate cohesive logic and compelling expected impact;
- Contributing to donor-facing framing and communications strategy for key strategic initiatives, such as Root Capital’s climate resilience work, that are not tied to particular proposals.
- Develop strong proposal packages meeting donor requirements and interests for foundations, corporates, public sector, and individuals.
- Lead grant writing and submission of proposals, including:
- Writing persuasive proposals and concept papers;
- Editing drafts of concept papers written by others;
- Gathering necessary financial and programmatic data from relevant Root Capital program and operations teams;
- Writing, editing, proofing, and gathering supplemental materials.
Packaging and submitting proposals electronically or physically.
Grant Writing Team Workflow and Process Management (20%)
- Responsible for coordinating the workflow of the production and review of proposals, concept notes, and other written donor deliverables; supports grant reporting team as needed.
- Manages deadlines and ensures timely submission for those written products.
- Principal coordinator of the proposal writing workflow, in concert with Development Officer colleague who leads the grant reporting and stewardship workflow. This includes:
- Determining priorities and delegating writing tasks as needed;
- Ensuring equitable workloads across teams;
- Helping to edit work of Grants Research Associate.
- With Development Officer colleague, ensures quality and accuracy of written products produced by the Grant Writing Team.
- Continuously improve departmental processes, especially related to proposal development and grant management, to enhance the team’s efficiency and well-being.
- Ensure information is shared effectively across the development team. This includes developing collateral materials to support external-facing staff.
- Maintain detailed records of the proposal and grant reporting process.
Organizational and Departmental Strategy Development and Sector Insights (10%)
- Translate emerging strategies into compelling, cohesive narratives about Root Capital’s growth. Develop best in class messaging and content to substantiate our vision and strategy.
- Leverage content expertise, institutional knowledge, and sector knowledge to serve as a resource for colleagues, including:
- Anticipating future challenges and opportunities within key funder relationships and helping ensure effective deployment of departmental/ inter-departmental resources to respond.
- Provide analysis and insight on macro changes and challenges in the international development fundraising sector(s).
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
- 5-8 years of related work experience, particularly in grant writing and proposal development for foundations and public sector development agencies (e.g. USAID), with a track record of success.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to convey complex concepts to multiple different types of audiences, including high-wealth donors, foundations, and government development agencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of the international development sector, particularly for working with rural agriculture communities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects from start to finish while navigating information gaps and uncertainty and meeting deadlines.
- Enthusiasm for working in a multicultural environment and collaborating with colleagues in multiple countries and continents.
- Professional-level Spanish fluency preferred.
- Experience working with CRMs, particularly Salesforce, a plus
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.