Global Collections and Workout Officer
Reports To: Chief Credit Officer
Job Type: Global Collections and Workout Officer
Location: United States
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply using the form below.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
The Global Collections and Workout Officer will oversee all collections and workout activity related to impaired and written off loans across a portfolio of small and medium-sized credits to agricultural businesses located in Latin America, Africa, and Southeast Asia. S/he will develop and supervise the action plans for collections and workout cases handled by Loan Officers and other Risk Management staff and will directly manage certain complex cases. The Global Collections & Workout Officer will have approval authority at the global level and will approve loan modifications related to collections and workout activity, as well as approve credits in the portfolio generally. The Global Collections & Workout Officer will develop lessons learned analysis to support underwriting guidelines and related policy and procedure development. Prior credit experience and Spanish / English fluency are required.
Collections and Workout
- Work closely with Lending and Risk Management staff to develop and supervise the implementation of effective and appropriate action plans for all collections and workout activity.
- Participate actively in regular reviews of the portfolio at risk and written off loans to discuss and make decisions regarding action plans.
- Ensure policy compliance across the portfolio in relation to collections and workout, including timely monitoring and communication with borrowers.
- Supervise and monitor all legal activity related to collections and workout.
- Directly manage certain complex collections and workout cases.
- Develop and maintain related action plans. Work directly with borrowers to negotiate restructured terms or settlement agreements.
- Prepare analysis and proposals for loan restructures, forbearance, or settlements.
- Ensure that restructured loans and settlements are closed.
- Maintain regular contact with borrowers to ensure compliance with restructured and/or settlement terms.
- Review and approve modification requests related to loans in collections and workout.
- Act as an approver generally for credit requests across the global portfolio.
Third Party Services
- Develop and manage relationships with legal and other third-party resources to support collections and workout efforts in the various jurisdictions where Root Capital operates.
- Work closely with Credit Administration and Legal Department to identify appropriate legal counsel and collection agencies specific to collections and workout and build a database of acceptable providers.
- Develop cost/benefit analysis related to engaging third-party services for collections and workout. Manage related budget.
- Develop lessons learned analysis to support underwriting guidelines and related policy and procedure development.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree; formal credit training; master's degree a plus
- Five to seven years of direct credit experience in a lending institution; microfinance or SME lending experience a plus; collections and workout experience a plus
- Excellent credit structuring and financial analysis skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal
- Bilingual English/Spanish required; French fluency a plus.
- Strong spreadsheet skills
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
To apply, please fill out the form below and upload your resume and cover letter in the appropriate spaces.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of: empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.