Financial Management Trainer of Coffee Cooperatives in Aceh (Consultant)
Reports To: Kate Hyder, Senior Manager of Advisory Quality and Innovation
Job Type: Consultant – 6 month contract with possible extension
Region: Southeast Asia
Start Date: March 11, 2019
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training, and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
Root Capital has been lending to coffee cooperatives in Aceh since 2006, disbursing over $10 million in financing to 15 businesses during that time. The Advisory Services (financial management training) team started working in Aceh in 2018, and this position will continue existing training workplans in progress with coffee cooperatives as well as start new ones, drawing on a global library of methodological and content resources developed over the last decade + of Root Capital’s financial management training program in other global geographies.
This consultant will be responsible for the effective and engaging provision of specialized training for coffee cooperatives in Aceh, Indonesia. The trainer will develop and deliver group workshops in addition to customized, business-level training for cooperative staff in topics such as financial management and accounting (e.g., cash flow analysis, improved accounting practices).
- Deliver diagnostics with Root Capital clients to assess the business-level performance across several management areas and identify the strengths and weaknesses of the business. Based on this diagnostic, develop a training plan that will have a tangible impact on improving the business management of these clients.
- Deliver specialized training to coffee cooperatives to improve their business management processes, practices, planning tools, financial and accounting administration, and governance – principally by building the capacities of the client staff involved.
- Organize and facilitate trainings with groups of clients (centralized events) in order to share management experiences and learning on management processes, strategies, and tools of mutual interest.
- As needed, work closely with the Loan Officer to deliver training related to the completion of a credit application and/or support in client loan monitoring.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree, preferably in Accounting and Finances, Economics, Administrative Sciences or Agribusiness.
- At least 5 years’ experience in rural development. Experience working with agricultural businesses, preferably with coffee cooperatives.
- Deep knowledge of the coffee sector/industry in Indonesia and ideally in Aceh, specifically.
- Experience in adult education; proven methodological expertise and demonstrated skill in participatory training delivery.
- Experience facilitating and delivering training in enterprise management, including topics such as financial planning, financial analysis, cost structure, accounting, internal controls.
- Experience in organizational management including good governance and administration.
- Good writing skills and ability to write reports or other required documents. Demonstrated skills in Powerpoint and Excel.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in Aceh for several weeks at a time.
- Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia required.
- We are looking for an individual that is both team-oriented and a self-starter. The role requires independent work and initiative, and timely, open, two-way communication with Root Capital staff.
- Alignment and affinity with Root Capital’s mission and values.
Please submit applications by the end of the day on the 28th of February, 2019. Applicants should send their CV and cover letter to Robbie Witkop, Interim Head of Lending: email@example.com.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of: empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.