Reports To: Financial Planning & Analysis Manager
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Region: Central America & Mexico - United States
Location: Remote, US or Costa Rica
Start Date: Immediate
The Financial Analyst manages key modelling, analysis and reporting processes that are crucial to Root Capital’s overall financial position and the success of the organization. The Analyst supports financial and impact analysis and reporting, dynamic planning, and project design in collaboration with global programs teams and Development. The Analyst regularly leads independent business analysis projects, communicates complex financial and lending information to key internal stakeholders, and is required to work collaboratively across Root’s functional groups on a variety of analytical projects.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Reporting and Analysis of Financial and Program Performance (30%)
- Produce and present regular financial and program performance reports for donors, investors and internal audiences using Adaptive Planning, Salesforce, and additional databases as required.
- Identify drivers of financial performance through independent analysis and collaboration with Finance and other Program staff, and monitoring and communicating material divergences from plan as necessary.
- Prepare monthly performance reports and presentations, including financial and impact projections for existing and prospective supporters and partners, working with Finance, Development and other program staff.
Model Maintenance and Development (25%)
Root Capital’s financial models are used for planning, reporting and projecting Root’s financial and impact performance, grant management and execution, and sensitivity analyses to evaluate potential outcomes of management decisions and external events. The Analyst is a key contributor to model maintenance, improvements, and data quality assurance. Responsibilities include:
- Monthly imports of actuals data, maintaining high standards of data quality.
- Ongoing documentation of model procedures.
- Distribution of timely financial reports to department and program staff.
- Development of custom reports and reporting templates for program staff, including Grants Management, Lending, and Advisory.
- Training staff as necessary in the structure, use, and functionality of the Budget Model.
Financial Planning & Budgeting (25%)
- Support FP&A and other staff in annual planning and budgeting, periodic revisions, and long-term financial, program, and impact forecasts as necessary.
- Report on and analyze projected financial performance at the department, program, and grant level, evaluating the projections for consistency with Root’s global and regional strategic plans.
- Prepare regular financial forecasts and presentations for key internal and external audiences as necessary.
Other Projects & Ad-Hoc Analysis (20%)
- Support the Finance team in improving data visualization and communications materials.
- Support FP&A and Investor Relations in investor due diligence and compliance reporting.
- Other projects or ad-hoc analysis.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum two years of relevant work experience in finance, accounting or other analytically-oriented field.
- Track record of conducting high quality data analysis and reporting.
- Advanced Excel modelling required; experience working with Adaptive Planning or other financial reporting and data analysis information system(s) preferred.
- Experience designing, producing, and presenting complex financial information to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Passion for Root Capital’s mission of environmentally and socially responsible investing and international development.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel and PowerPoint
- English fluency required. Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
- Ability to relate quantitative models to real-world decisions.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.