Development Operations Associate
Reports To: Director, Development Finance & Operations
Job Type: Full-time
Region: United States
Location: Cambridge, MA or Remote in the US
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply using the form below.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed over $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, and Kenya.
The Development Associate will support the Development team's ability to raise $100M as part of Root Capital’s campaign to achieve our 2025 Strategic Plan impact ambitions. The Development Associate will support Root Capital’s individual and institutional donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts, including by serving as the primary administrator for donor information and grant data in our CRM, Salesforce. The Associate is responsible for a broad range of tasks related to the efficient operation and management of donor information, including data entry and quality maintenance, generating acknowledgment and stewardship letters, and providing donor and fundraising data analysis to staff. The Associate is a critical member of the Development team who will help Root Capital optimize its donor data management and system for all of its fundraising needs.
Data Management, Integrity, and Coordination - 60%
- Serve as primary system administrator of donor data within Development’s primary CRM, Salesforce
- Support Development team on data extraction, integration, analysis in Salesforce
- Support on systems management for other information systems and platforms, including: Adaptive Insights (Workday), Box, and other proprietary databases
- Maintain the data integrity and quality of information in the database platforms, including regular data improvement and clean-up, and enforcement of adherence to database input standards.
- Manage third-party database integrations, including Mailchimp, iWave, and Classy. Support data integrity between systems by ensuring accurate data flow and tracking reconciliations
- Create and maintain custom fields, workflows, and validation rules in databases as needed
- Maintain and improve Development database platform standard operating procedures manuals for Root Capital's evolving information systems and data management and analysis practices, documenting donor-related and other customizations as applicable
- Support Development team Salesforce users by providing training, answering user questions, and troubleshooting issues
- Lead the effort to evolve Salesforce to meet the fundraising arm of the organization’s changing needs, including maintaining and updating database-enabled dashboards and KPI trackers
Fundraising Support - 30%
- Ensure timely and accurate entry of gift records and deliver standardized gift report and notification to team members, with ad hoc team member notification as needed
- Generate, format, prepare, and ensure delivery of high-quality donor acknowledgement and stewardship letters
- Enable consistent Primary Relationship Managers (frontline fundraising team) donation projection entry and perform quarterly Primary Relationship Manager's portfolio health-checks and updates
- Create, support, generate, and disseminate regular reports including but not limited to: weekly gift reports; monthly year over year updates; and quarterly progress reports.
- Engagement with additional contractors and consultants as needed
- Add newly identified prospect accounts to the system and facilitate new account research and Primary Relationship Managers assignment. Conduct new prospect research and monitor developments with key prospect and donors
- Support Primary Relationship Managers in completing donor follow-up tasks, as requested
Interorganizational Operations Representation - 10%
- Collaborate with Root Capital’s Salesforce team and other other IT teams on data infrastructure improvements and other initiatives to help ensure cohesive use of data and systems
- Explore new system updates and add-ons and present them to the Development team on a regular basis
- Represent the Development team on interorganizational data and systems management councils and committees
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 2 years of database management experience; nonprofit database management preferred
- Experience maintaining CRM data, including experience in report writing and analyzing data.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with Salesforce (Lightning) and strong understanding of Salesforce best practices and functionality preferred
- Familiarity with Classy, Mailchimp, iWave integrations with Salesforce preferred
- Ability to complete work within established time frames, as well as prioritize and coordinate multiple projects and competing work demands
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information regarding constituents, along with company financials and other information
- Ability to think creatively, take initiative, and work independently, while also enjoying collaboration with the team
- Root Capital is a bilingual organization. Spanish proficiency (written and spoken) is a plus but not critical to the role
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of: empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency