Deputy Chief of Staff
Reports To: Chief of Staff
Job Type: Full-time
Region: Central America & Mexico - East Africa - South America - United States
Location: Open, but must be authorized to work in either the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia, or Kenya
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Deputy Chief of Staff (the “Deputy”) will directly support the Executive Office (the “EO”) [comprising the CEO, COO, and Chief of Staff] in facilitating overall management of Root Capital, and will support the work of the COO in management of Root Capital’s operations. The Deputy will directly support the EO by assisting the Chief of Staff in executing EO leadership initiatives within Root Capital, facilitating the operations of the EO, and coordinating internal Root Capital activities. The Deputy will support the work of the COO in discharging a range of COO activities, by coordinating initiatives generated by the COO, and providing strategic management of the COO’s office. This position requires a dynamic individual who understands organizational operations generally, excels in a fast-paced environment, has a proven attention to detail, and who is comfortable working with a variety of high-level constituencies. The Deputy must possess excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy, discretion, and integrity.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming communities.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Supporting the Work of the COO - 60%
- Serve as right hand to COO, with focus on translating Root Capital’s strategy into action and driving business day-to-day
- Contribute to strategic planning, oversight, management support, reporting, operational analysis, and other key functions of the COO’s office, as appropriate
- Ensure appropriate organization, prioritization, and follow-up of work in the COO’s office
- Assist in facilitating effective meetings of the Executive Council (Root Capital’s leadership team) and associated committees (Business Operations Committee, Project Management Committee, and others as assigned); attending and minuting meetings, tracking follow up, and reporting on progress
- Produce and edit documents generated in the COO’s office
- Oversee scheduling for the COO, with an emphasis on strategic use of time
- Support effective communication between COO and relevant Root Capital managers regarding COO activities and initiatives
Supporting the Executive Office - 40%
- Working closely with Chief of Staff, coordinate activities of and communications between CEO and COO
- Work closely with Chief of Staff, CEO, COO, and others to build and maintain a strong, collegial, and effective Root Capital culture through global calls and other activities
- Participate in planning and execution of quarterly Board of Directors meetings and other Board calls; handle scheduling, work closely with Chief of Staff to compile Board documents, take notes at meetings as required (noting confidentiality), and provide additional support as needed
- Serve as back up to Chief of Staff for EO operations such as CEO scheduling, note taking, and correspondence
- Working closely with Chief of Staff and General Counsel, ensure EO compliance with relevant legal and policy requirement
- Working closely and equitably with Chief of Staff, fulfill additional administrative tasks that may include booking travel, processing invoices, updating files, etc.
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work of this position, and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this role.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- 5-7 years of related work experience
- Exceptional organizational skills; ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Proven ability to work under pressure, multi-task, and adapt to a dynamic environment
- Effective communication skills, with excellent writing abilities and an eye toward diplomacy
- Proactive approach to problem-solving with demonstrated decision-making capabilities
- Experience with the range of activities in organizations similar to Root Capital in mission and profile an advantage
- Comfort with minor technology troubleshooting
- Skilled in Google and MS Office platforms (especially spreadsheet management) and Salesforce
- Enthusiasm for working in a multicultural environment
- Professional-level Spanish fluency required
- Must be authorized to work in country of residence (note: this role must originate in one of the locations where Root Capital has an office: the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia, or Kenya)
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.