Deputy Chief of Staff and Manager of Board Relations
Reports To: Chief of Staff
Job Type: Full-time
Region: Central America & Mexico - East Africa - South America - United States
Location: Remote (open to any country where Root Capital has an office: Colombia, Costa Rica, Kenya, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, or the United States)
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
The Deputy Chief of Staff (Deputy) will directly support the Executive Office (EO) in facilitating overall management of Root Capital (Root), with a particular focus on its leadership structures [eg., the Board of Directors and the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), and on occasion other internal committees]. The Deputy will directly support the Executive Office by supporting leadership initiatives within Root, facilitating the operations of the EO, and coordinating relevant internal Root activities. The Deputy will support the work of the EO and SLT in managing the relationship with the Board of Directors, and will coordinate and provide support for the workstreams of the SLT. This position requires a dynamic individual who understands organizational operations generally, excels in a fast-paced environment, has a proven attention to detail, and who is comfortable working with a variety of high-level constituencies, with a real focus on effective communication and relationship building. The Deputy must be able to connect the dots across workstreams and thoughtfully curate how to communicate those connections to different audiences. The ideal candidate must possess excellent interpersonal skills and hold a proven commitment to diplomacy, discretion and integrity.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Supporting Root Capital Leadership Structures (70%)
- Serves as the organization’s primary liaison to the Board of Directors, working closely with CEO and Chief of Staff
- Serves as EO liaison to Board Governance Committee, working with Committee Chair to inter alia review and update the Board’s charter, facilitate Committee communications, and manage the Board pipeline
- Oversees coordination of regular and extraordinary Board and Board committee meetings, ensuring thorough communication with the Board chair, Committee chairs, and staff leads for effective preparation of Board meeting materials and successful execution of meetings and calls
- Manages overall Board engagement strategy, including Board learning opportunities, social events, and regional visits, in close coordination with External Affairs team and other relevant departments as required
- Provides regular written updates to the Board on key impact moments and progress against goals
- Working closely with Chief of Staff, assists in facilitating effective meetings of the Senior Leadership Team: attending and minuting meetings, tracking follow up, and reporting on progress
- Provides coordination for SLT-led, cross-departmental annual processes (e.g., Annual Planning, budgeting, OKRs)
Supporting the Executive Office (30%)
- Supports the CoS in ensuring effective communication between EO and Root constituencies (internal and external) regarding EO activities and initiatives
- Works closely with CoS, CEO, COO, and others to build and maintain a strong, collegial, and effective Root culture through global calls and other activities
- Serves as backup to CoS for EO operations such as CEO scheduling, note taking, and correspondence
- Working closely with CoS and General Counsel, ensure EO compliance with relevant legal and policy requirements
- Working closely and equitably with CoS, fulfill additional administrative tasks that may include booking travel, processing invoices, updating files, and so on
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work of this position, and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in this role.
Required Skills and Experience
- Prior experience with Board relations, ideally Board management, or other key external governance structures required
- Prior experience working with internal leadership or governance structures
- Exceptional organizational skills; ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with meticulous attention to detail
- Proven ability to work under pressure, multi-task, and adapt to a dynamic environment
- Effective communication skills, with excellent, efficient writing abilities and an eye toward diplomacy
- Proactive approach to problem-solving with demonstrated decision-making capabilities
- Experience with the range of activities in organizations similar to Root in mission and profile an advantage
- Comfort with minor technology troubleshooting
- Skilled in Google and MS Office platforms (especially spreadsheet management) and Salesforce
- Enthusiasm for working in a multicultural environment
- Spanish fluency is strongly preferred
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
U.S applicants: Root Capital Inc. participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government your I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, see here. Learn more about your right to work.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.