Data Platform Manager
Reports To: Senior Manager, Advisory Services Quality and Innovation
Job Type: Six-month full-time consultant contract, with potential to transition to full-time employee
Region: Central America & Mexico - United States
Location: Cambridge, MA or San Jose, Costa Rica
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of the impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace, and preserve vulnerable ecosystems. Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training, and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others do not. To date, we have loaned $1.2 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
Working with Root Capital
- Work with a global, diverse and dynamic team based in the United States, Latin America, East Africa, West Africa, and Indonesia. Our team is highly collaborative and we regularly consult with one another to gain expertise or a new perspective.
- Flexibility: once a week, avoid the commute and join your team from the comfort of your home via video conference.
- Dress: dress in the way that makes you feel most productive, from business casual to jeans.
- Coffee: Did we mention the coffee? We take it very seriously; it’s high quality and always available!
Root Capital's Advisory Services team provides financial and business management training to small and growing businesses in Latin America, Africa, and Asia through highly specialized and customized consultancy services and adult teaching methodologies.
This position will work closely with the Advisory Global and Regional teams and other departments across IT and Impact to accelerate and optimize the development of Root Capital’s Data Platform. Root Capital is building an enterprise data platform to support the data management and business intelligence needs of our agricultural enterprise clients. The farmer-level data platform will facilitate the flow, organization, use, and sharing of data by Root Capital’s clients who are participating in our mobile advisory services, whereby Root Capital supports our clients in digitizing data collection processes, improving internal business decision-making processes, and building stronger data-driven relationships with business partners.
The Data Platform Manager will lead key design components and serve as a lynchpin between Root Capital’s field and headquarter-based teams to ensure operational excellence in client-facing service delivery as well as back-end technology. In addition, the role will play a large role in keeping external stakeholders—such as certifiers, buyers, donors, partners—happy with Data Platform functionality, and in doing so maximize value for our client agricultural businesses.
- (20-25% FTE) Own the design and operationalization around key strategic pillars of the Data Platform, working in close collaboration with other team members.
- Security: Refine access/security/data sharing policies for current and potential future platform-enabled interactions.
- Sustainability: Scope the business model for Data Platform, likely in coordination with external experts.
- Values: With input from the broader Data Platform team, finalize draft Data Platform principles.
- (20% FTE) Lead project management of various Data Platform workstreams across Advisory, Impact, IT, and Lending/Risk.
- Manage the governance structure for the working team members.
- Monitor performance against workplans and timelines related to the project.
- Manage and keep updated the Data Platform budget.
- Lead internal change management for the project.
- (15-20% FTE) With input from the Advisory team, clients, and external stakeholders, own changes to an existing use case database to capture existing, and explore potential new, use cases for data sharing facilitated as part of the platform.
- On a regular basis, as needed, conduct interviews with key stakeholders to understand how data is being used currently and potential barriers/pain points that Root Capital’s Data Platform could help to overcome.
- Help identify and disseminate best practices around data sharing, including indicators, forms/questionnaires, and report formats.
- Where new data sharing use case is identified, coordinate the design and testing of these “best practices.”
- Provide input into product roadmap to ensure the technology platform efficiently facilitates these use cases.
- (10-15% FTE) With the Advisory Innovation Manager, support ongoing relationship management with non-SME data platform customers/partners.
- Manage relationships and potential pilots with these customers—understand their use case and requirements of a Root Capital data platform, liaise with field teams to assess feasibility, manage MOU / NDAs and ongoing coordination as needed.
- Keep an updated competitive/partner landscape to ensure Root Capital is positioning itself optimally with partners—proactively reach out to partners to initiate exploratory conversations where strategic.
- (10% FTE) Own externally-facing resources reflecting the value and strategic direction of the data platform, with support from the Creative team in keeping the documents updated and with appropriate externally-facing messaging, including:
- Case studies
- Donor docs
- “Sales” docs for potential external partners/buyers/certifiers
- (15% FTE) Support Advisory Managers and senior trainers in each geography to continuously identify and consolidate best practices related to mobile advisory. Disseminate these best practices internally across regions. Best practices include:
- Integration with other databases
- Report formats
Qualifications & Experience
- 5-7 years of relevant experience; e.g., small business training, project management, relationship management, impact investing, business, or related.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business administration, International Development, or equivalent is required; graduate degree preferred.
- English and Spanish fluency required. French is a nice-to-have.
- Basic knowledge of technical assistance models and methodologies; emphasis on financial management and strategy of small and growing businesses.
- Basic knowledge of technology platforms and their ability to support the growth and development of agricultural SMEs.
- Strong relationship management experience, with prior experience working with senior level staff at external organizations and maintaining satisfaction over a long-term relationship.
- Prior project management experience working across internationally and language-distributed teams.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex ideas in compelling form.
- Attention to detail. Strong planning and organization skills.
- Experience with development initiatives in Latin America and/or Africa, preferably in the areas of impact investing, micro-enterprise/cooperative development, or financial training with a technology lens/technology as a supporting tool.
- Collaborative work style, works well on a team, horizontally and across departments with coworkers outside direct reporting lines. Customer service approach.
- Able to adapt to a rapidly changing environment. Entrepreneurial spirit and professional maturity; ability to work independently, think creatively, and a willingness to seek support when needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to innovative solutions concerning the “missing middle”, particularly for small and growing businesses in developing countries.
- Passion for Root Capital’s commitment to worldwide poverty alleviation and environmental conservation.
- Must be authorized to work in Costa Rica or the United States.
Commensurate with experience.