Cultivar Data Engineer
Reports To: Global Advisory Manager
Job Type: Full-time, remote
Region: Central America & Mexico - East Africa - South America - United States
Location: Peru, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Colombia, USA or Kenya.
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply using the form below.
The Data Engineer is a critical role responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the infrastructure for data on Root Capital's Cultivar Data Platform. Root Capital's Cultivar Data Platform is a vital tool for small and growing agribusinesses participating in our Digital Business Intelligence Advisory service, helping them to digitize and integrate their various data sources for analysis, and use them for decision-making to improve their businesses and ultimately the livelihoods of the producers.
This role will focus on improving and implementing new business requirements primarily within the data warehouse on Snowflake, as well as making significant contributions to ETL (extract, transform, load) processes to support data analysis and reporting. In this role, the Data Engineer would be responsible for designing and implementing data warehouses using the Snowflake platform, and providing support for integration and ETL processes using Alteryx, as well as support for data visualization tools such as PowerBI and Tableau. They will be working closely with the IT Operations Manager and DBI Systems Admin to deliver high-quality data solutions, and their work will be closely aligned with the strategic goals and priorities of Root Capital’s agribusiness digital transformation work, led by the Sr Manager, Agribusiness Digital Transformation.
The Data Engineer should have strong technical skills and be able to work effectively with cross-functional teams to deliver high-quality data solutions. They should also be able to understand the unique technical requirements of small and growing agribusinesses, who may have limited resources and knowledge about digitalization and business intelligence, and to help these businesses overcome these challenges.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Agriculture is the key to unlocking a better future for billions of people. But while rural families sustain the world, they struggle to sustain themselves. Root Capital is a nonprofit social impact investor that puts its money where others don't – in underserved agricultural businesses.
We provide financing and business training to agricultural enterprises in the "missing middle" - those that are too big for microloans but too small for commercial lenders. As these agricultural businesses succeed and scale, they become engines of impact that help farming families, communities, and economies to flourish.
Founded in 1999, we are the largest social investor in agricultural businesses. As both a lender and a nonprofit, our unique model allows us to go where other financiers don’t and support agricultural enterprises so they can succeed and grow. Our world-class team of experts identifies, partners with, and invests in exceptional agricultural entrepreneurs in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Over 23 years, Root Capital has invested $1.7 billion in more than 750 agricultural enterprises, proving these under-served businesses are bankable and investable. We have shown that access to finance helps these enterprises succeed and fuels the economy. Root Capital’s investments and essential business and finance training have impacted 10 million farming families through job creation, financial security, and climate resiliency. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, we currently have offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, and Kenya.
1. Data Warehouse design and implementation (40%)
- Gather and analyze business requirements from various stakeholders, and use this information to make informed design and structure changes to the data platform.
- Serve as the lead developer on procedures and queries, primarily using SQL (largely in Snowflake).
- Implement security and access controls to protect sensitive data alongside IT Operations/DBI teams as well as under advisement of Root Capitals Data Governance Council
- Continuously seek out opportunities to improve the performance and efficiency of the data platform.
2. Integrations, ETL (30%)
- Lead the execution of technical ETL development based on new business requirements.
- Focus on developing and maintaining ETL processes into the data warehouse, primarily using Alteryx.
- Understand and make contributions to automation and scripting tools, primarily using Python, stored procedures, REST API, and significant work with JSON to support ETL pipelines.
- Develop and maintain data pipelines to ensure data integrity and accuracy.
- Advise on incoming data cleaning best practices to optimize the use of the data warehouse.
3. Process support (20%)
- Leverage technical expertise and problem-solving skills to identify and resolve issues related to preparing data pipelines from the data warehouse for various stakeholders using tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, and Excel.
- Collaborate with external and internal data analysts, external developers, and technical liaisons representing various functions of the Enterprise Data Warehouse in order to understand their data needs and implement solutions to meet them.
- Continuously seek out opportunities to improve and simplify existing processes, using a proactive and innovative approach to streamline operational and technical workflows.
- Play a key role in the development of functionality related to survey creation, question bank management, indicator management, and other areas as needed.
- Makes suggestions on process and budget changes as needed
4. Documentation efforts (10%)
- Create comprehensive documentation and guides for major developments in the data platform, ensuring that all team members have the information they need to understand and maintain these systems.
- Assist with the maintenance of existing documentation related to your assigned duties, making sure that all documentation is accurate and up-to-date.
- Participate in updating and revising existing documentation as needed
Previous Relevant Experience Required
- SQL (Snowflake preferred), postgresql
- ETL/ELT pipeline development (Alteryx preferred)
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau or PowerBI
- Familiarity with data modeling and design principles
- Exposure to data governance frameworks and practices
- Data management and integration experience
- UI/UX experience (Delphi, Kotlin, C++) preferred
- Exposure to Microsoft Azure App Service/Web Application hosting preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Requirements
- 3-5 years of relevant experience or in a related role
- Commitment to Root Capital's mission
- Experience serving rural, underserved communities desirable/preferred
- Must be authorized to work in one of the following countries: Peru, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Colombia, USA or Kenya.
- Root Capital is a bilingual organization. Fluent in spoken and written English. Spanish is recommended.
- Elite customer service orientation
- Ability to interface with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong and creative problem solving skills, responsiveness, pride in work, and enthusiasm for innovation through technology
- Self motivation and desire to excel
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
U.S applicants: Root Capital Inc. participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government your I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, see here. Learn more about your right to work.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.