Reports To: Head of Lending, Africa
Job Type: Full-time
Region: East Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by filing out the form below.
The Credit Analyst supports the growth and quality of Root Capital’s credit portfolio by collaborating with the Portfolio Managers and Loan Officers in gathering, verifying and conducting financial and credit analysis of potential loans from rural small and medium enterprises (SMEs). S/he will also monitor the quality of outstanding loans. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
Credit Analysis (60%)
- Support the Portfolio Manager/Loans Officer to collect, verify and analyze information for potential or actual credits in priority areas, mainly in sustainable agriculture.
- Prepare along with the Portfolio Managers/loan officers, the credit proposals/memos, for presentation and consideration by the credit committee. Deliver additional reports, regarding operations as required by Portfolio Manager.
- Collaborate with designated team members in the organization to negotiate structure and legally document the loan documents. Support the closing process of each approved credit.
- Maintain relations with the client, as necessary and continuous monitoring of the activities for the approved credits, according to the procedures established by Root Capital. In collaboration with the Portfolio Manager/Loans Officer, establish key operational indicators for each client/credit. Review periodic management, financial and environmental reports delivered by the clients, and include updated projections in the evaluation of client’s credits. Whenever is needed, meet the clients when the loan officer is absent.
- In collaboration with the Portfolio Manager review and update the qualification of risk during the analysis of the credit proposal and also during the life of the loan once it is disbursed.
- Analyze periodic monitoring reports from designated clients, third party monitors and discuss with the Risk Manager.
- Support the execution of “due diligence” of businesses in every stage of the loan’s application, to ensure well informed decision making and qualification of the risk involved. Critically analyze the financial statements and apply financial, commercial, environmental and social criteria to the actual and considered credits, providing recommendation for payment and monitoring the repayment of the loans disbursed.
- Complete periodic Risk Rating Engine reports for designated clients under the guidance of the Risk Manager.
- Ensure client covenant compliance in line with loan agreement/approved terms and conditions.
Perform other duties as may be required from time to time
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Banking, Business Administration or related field.
- 3-5 years’ experience in financial and credit analysis in East Africa.
- Experience with small and medium enterprise (SME) or agricultural lending is desirable.
- Ability to understand and learn the organization’s credit policies and credit analysis requirement.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary. Additional knowledge of financial software is a plus.
- Strong credit analytical skills including business plan analysis, numerical and financial analysis and interpretation.
- Ability to handle confidential information about the transactions and business activities of Root Capital and our clients.
- Strong interest in the field of socially impact investing. Passionate about supporting the advancement of Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Africa.
- Willingness to travel to rural areas of East Africa.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders across multiple geographies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Proactive, service oriented attitude.
- Strong attitude towards compliance.
- Authorized to work in Kenya.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.