Consultant: Agronomic and Climate Resilience Advisory (Uganda)
Reports To: Advisory Services Manager, East Africa
Job Type: Temporary Assignment
Region: East Africa
Contact: Please apply by filling out the form below.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
This role will support the implementation of the agronomic and Climate resilience advisory (ACRA) program in the coffee value chain in Uganda. The incumbent will be charged with the following responsibilities:
- Conduct climate resilience diagnostics with clients to identify gaps for capacity building
- Develop a training schedule to address gaps identified through diagnostics
- Help clients to prepare climate adaptation & mitigation strategies
- Conduct climate risks vulnerability to coffee co-operatives
- Develop a training work plan for a portfolio of clients in collaboration with the senior ACRA consultant
- Provide agronomic and climate resilience training to field staff and farmers
- Monitor the implementation of the ACRA activities
- Provide timely reporting
- Help cultivate, manage relevant partnerships with academic and research or implementing organizations working on climate-smart agriculture
- Any other duty that may be assigned from time to time
- Conducting diagnostics (10%)
- Developing climate adaptation and mitigation strategies (30%)
- Providing training (30%)
- Monitoring (20%)
- Relationship building (5%)
- Reporting (5%)
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in agronomy, crop science, horticulture, or related agricultural based degree
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in providing extension education to agribusiness enterprises or smallholder farmers
- Experience in climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies in agricultural value chains-preferably coffee
- Experience in agronomic extension education preferably in Robusta Coffee value chain
- Experience in adult training and delivery methodologies
- Experience in certification Standards eg Rainforest Alliance, UTZ, Organic or FairTrade.
- Proficiency in MS Office such as Word, Excel, and Google Apps
- Relationship building skills
- Project management skills
- Time management
- Strict adherence to tight deadlines
- Ability to work with multicultural teams
Commensurate with experience
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.