Reports To: Communications Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Location: United States
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
About Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve loaned $1.3 billion to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
Root Capital seeks a motivated and versatile Communications Associate to help engage our followers, build awareness of our mission and impact, and raise funds from new and existing donors. Working closely with staff from the Creative and Development teams, this position will be responsible for developing and distributing content, including blog posts, email newsletters, and performance reports; maintaining back-end administrative systems; coordinating social media platforms, including for Root Capital’s CEO; and supporting internal communications functions. Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Associate will engage with staff across many departments and Root Capital’s offices around the globe.
Candidates should consider themselves ‘digital natives’ and possess: excellent communication skills in English and Spanish; non-academic writing and editing experience; strong interpersonal skills; knowledge of digital communications and marketing; and a passion for Root Capital’s mission of transforming rural communities by investing in the growth of agricultural enterprises.
Content strategy, development, and distribution (60%)
- Contribute to high-level team planning around branding, editorial strategy, and donor communications. With team members, think creatively about how to engage, inspire, and educate Root Capital’s priority audiences.
- Pitch ideas for Root Capital’s editorial calendar, ensuring content reflects priority audiences and topics. Work with global staff to identify and source compelling new stories about our work.
- Write and edit original content, including blog posts, collateral, reports, media articles, and more. As needed, ghostwrite content for other staff members.
- Conduct primary and secondary research to inform content, including interviews with farmers, business managers, and staff members in both English and Spanish.
- Write, lay out, and distribute regular email communications to subscribers (including donors) and support development of ad hoc email campaigns.
- Support planning and implementation of online fundraising campaigns (creating landing pages for website, drafting solicitation emails, driving engagement on social media, )
- Coordinate social media marketing across multiple platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram) for Root Capital and its CEO.
- Identify opportunities to amplify Root Capital’s brand to new audiences, and conduct targeted outreach to external platforms.
Administrative/team support (30%)
- Maintain photo and quotes databases, email lists and workflows, collateral and merchandise inventories, and other departmental infrastructure.
- Track and analyze metrics across digital platforms (email, social media, blog).
- Monitor, triage, and respond to incoming email inquiries, social media messages, and blog comments.
- Respond to requests from other departments for photos, communications materials, or design/branding support.
- Update content on Root Capital’s website, including staff bios/photos and job postings.
- Provide other administrative and translation support, as needed.
Internal communications (10%)
- Coordinate bi-monthly Global Calls, intranet postings, and other internal communications to reinforce organizational culture and provide timely updates to global staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, English, international affairs, or similar
- Minimum 1-2 years of related professional experience.
- Experience writing and editing web-based content, including social media and blog posts.
- Advanced Spanish conversational and writing skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize online communications, email marketing, and social media as tools for raising awareness, engagement, and funding.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including a demonstrated command of grammar, punctuation, and style. Ability to thoughtfully integrate feedback from multiple sources.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) desired.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to think creatively, take initiative, and work independently, while enjoying collaboration and knowing when to seek
- Demonstrated awareness of international development and interest in the fields of social enterprise, sustainable agriculture, impact investing, and/or finance.
- A team player with a sense of humor and proactive can-do attitude.
- Passion for Root Capital’s mission of transforming rural communities.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
To apply, please fill out the form below and upload your resume and cover letter in the appropriate spaces.