Collections and Workout Officer
Reports To: Regional Risk Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Region: East Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Contact: Please apply using the form below.
The Collections and Workout Officer manages collections and workout activity related to impaired and written off loans across a portfolio of small and medium-sized loans to agricultural businesses located in Africa. S/he will develop and supervise the action plans for collections and workout cases handled by Loan Officers. The Collections & Workout Officer will support the development of "lessons learned" analysis to support underwriting guidelines and related policy and procedure development. Prior credit experience and English fluency are required.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.4 billion to improve the lives of over six million people in farming communities.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Collections and Workout - 70%
- Manage the collection (via telephone, email and/or any other recommended means) of the assigned portfolio.
- Participate actively in regular reviews of the portfolio at risk and written off loans to discuss and make decisions regarding action plans.
- Ensure policy compliance across the portfolio in relation to collections and workout, including timely monitoring and communication with borrowers.
- Develop and maintain related action plans for assigned loans including working directly with borrowers to negotiate restructured terms or settlement agreements.
- Prepare analysis and proposals for assigned loan restructures, forbearance, or settlements
- Review assigned modification proposals from Loan Officers for loans in workout
- Prepare and present the proposals for negotiation agreements of the collection portfolio to the Committee
- Ensure that restructured loans and settlements are closed.
- Maintain regular contact with borrowers to ensure compliance with restructured and/or settlement terms.
- Support on field visits to delinquent borrowers as assigned by the Regional Risk Manager.
- Manage information and reporting related to legal expenses in connection with collections and workout and estimates of recovery of the portfolio assigned for collection.
Collection Policies and Procedures - 20%
- Support regional implementation and training of collection policies and procedures.
- Support the continuous work of the Risk Management Department to develop and improve collection policies and procedures.
- Support development of lessons learned analysis to support underwriting guidelines and related policy and procedure development
Third Party Services - 10%
- Maintain optimal relationships with legal and other third-party resources to support collections and workout efforts.
- Work closely with Credit Administration and Legal Department to identify appropriate legal counsel and collection agencies specific to collections and workout and build a database of acceptable providers.
- Work closely with Risk Management Team to develop cost/benefit analysis related to engaging third-party services for collections and workout.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related credit training, Master’s degree a plus
- Minimum 4 years of experience in financial analysis, risk, and credits analysis, preferably in a lending institution; collections and workout experience a plus
- Excellent credit structuring and financial analysis skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal.
- Fluency in English required; French fluency a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite.
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- At the office: with good internet access conditions and necessary furniture.
- Rural environments: to visit current and potential clients, including moving through rural areas, with limited of road and transportation conditions, which require long distance journeys. Modest food and lodging.
This description is intended to present in general terms the nature and level of the position and is not an exhaustive list of all the individual responsibilities tasks and skills that are required for this position.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
Note: Both a Resume and Cover Letter are required to be considered for this job. Do not attach the same file twice.