Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory Manager
Reports To: Director of Innovation
Job Type: Full-time
Region: Central America & Mexico - South America - United States
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica; Chiapas, Mexico; Managua, Nicaragua; Lima, Peru; OR Cambridge, MA, USA
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by filling out the form below.
The Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory Manager will be responsible for the successful design and implementation of Root Capital’s Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory service globally.
The Advisory team is responsible for the design, quality assurance, monitoring, partnership management, and implementation of business Advisory services—including Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory—to rural agribusinesses, in line with Root Capital’s mission. Over the next five years, Root Capital seeks to deepen and expand its existing Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory offering to agribusinesses across its global portfolio. The Manager will lead the ongoing design, continuous improvement, and implementation of Root Capital’s Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory services, ensuring services are relevant to agribusiness needs, evolve in response to new challenges, and meet internally defined quality standards and MEL (monitoring, evaluation and learning) requirements. The Manager will coordinate knowledge-sharing and collaboration across Root Capital’s global team, and will support the cultivation and management of technical and funder partnerships required for the success of this service.
The Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory Manager will work across Root Capital’s global Advisory team, closely collaborating with the Global Advisory Manager and Regional Advisory Managers, and with the Lending, Impact, Partnerships and Development teams. This role reports to the Director of Innovation.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.4 billion to improve the lives of over six million people in farming communities.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Program Design & Innovation - 40%
- Lead the ongoing design and continuous improvement of Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory Services to rural agribusinesses, taking into account business’ varying needs based on geography, industry, and business stage and the evolving landscape of other service providers.
- In collaboration with the Director of Innovation, the Associate Director of Social and Environmental Performance, and regional Advisory teams, contribute to service innovation, including but not limited to expansion into new industries, adoption of remote service delivery mechanisms, exploration of new technical and operational partnerships, and the incorporation of emerging digital technologies.
Program Implementation & Quality Assurance - 40%
- In collaboration with regional Advisory Managers, lead the development of global Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory work plans that advance Root Capital’s strategic and programmatic goals.
- Monitor the global implementation of Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory work plans, including completion of programmatic milestones within budget targets.
- Hold implementing teams accountable for the completion of Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning requirements for Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory Services, in collaboration with the Impact team and Advisory management.
- Working closely with the Advisory Quality Assurance Officer, develop and support advisor training materials and implementation of tools to assure quality of Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory Services provided to rural agribusiness.
- Promote knowledge sharing and collaboration across our Asia, Africa, and Latin America offices to enhance service impact and efficiency.
- Cultivate and manage partnerships with external organizations supporting the implementation of Root Capital’s Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory Service.
- Support the launch of Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory in new geographies as needed, including collaborating with regional Advisory Managers to recruit relevant trainers, create onboarding plans, prioritize clients in line with global processes and standards, etc.
Development & External Representation - 20%
- Cultivate and manage technical partnerships to support the design or field delivery of Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory.
- Support Root Capital’s fundraising efforts by providing the Development team with programmatic inputs related to Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory for proposals and reporting.
- Represent Root Capital’s Agronomic & Climate Resilience Advisory work externally via partnership conversations and events.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelors or advanced degree and 7+ years experience working in development initiatives in Latin America and/or Africa involving sustainable, climate-resilient agriculture and rural agribusiness development; preference for experience with impact investing or agricultural finance.
- Outstanding technical- and experience-based understanding of climate change and climate action within the context of smallholder agriculture and/or small-to-medium-sized enterprises.
- Experience-based understanding of the dynamics and specific methodological and operational needs of providing adult education and technical assistance (preferably with a focus on agronomic extension on sustainable practices) in rural settings. Preference for some experience of remote, online service provision.
- Proven ability to effectively collaborate between and across teams (including with coworkers outside of direct reporting lines), as well as with external stakeholders (technical partners, funders).
- Experience working with multicultural and multilingual teams; sensitivity to the dynamics of global teams (e.g. working across cultures and time zones).
- Professional fluency in English and Spanish; demonstrably strong verbal and written communication skills in both languages.
- Self-starter with ability to flexibly manage and prioritize multiple competing tasks; ability to thrive in a dynamic and entrepreneurial team environment; strong sense of responsibility.
- Comfort tackling a wide range of tasks, from managerial to analytical, technical, and operational.
- Attention to detail. Proven organization and project management skills.
- Willingness to travel globally (when Covid-19 safety precautions permit).
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission and leadership principles.
- Authorized to work in a country where Root Capital has a registered office.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.