Advisory Quality Assurance Officer
Reports To: Global Advisory Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Region: Central America & Mexico - South America - United States
Location: Cambridge, United States; Lima, Perú; Chiapas, México; Managua, Nicaragua; OR San José, Costa Rica
Start Date: Immediately
Contact: Please apply by using the form below.
The Quality Assurance Officer (QAO) will be responsible for ensuring that Root Capital’s Advisory team is equipped to guarantee and monitor the quality of its services. This position will roll out and strengthen existing quality assurance processes and tools, will design, test and validate new approaches as required, will analyze and report on results, and generally work to guarantee that Root Capital’s Advisory services consistently meet the quality standards required to drive impact, safeguard customer satisfaction, and strengthen competitiveness. This role will also be responsible for coordinating the Resilience Grants program as required, and will coordinate R&D efforts for the further development of Next Generation Advisory services.
The QAO will be part of the Root Capital Advisory Services department, will report to the Global Advisory Manager, and will work in close coordination with--and participation from—the Regional Advisory Managers, as well as the Advisory Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer, and the Director of Innovation.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace and preserve vulnerable ecosystems.
We supply these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial training and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.4 billion to improve the lives of over six million people in farming communities.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Overall advisory quality assurance - 65%
- Ensure that Advisory management in all regions has access to the most recent state-of-the-art research and information on adult training methodologies, business training, impact monitoring, agri SGB development, and related themes. Promote regional innovation, global sharing and standard-setting in results monitoring and quality control mechanisms.
- Lead continuous improvement of QA systems and tools, based on detailed assessments of critical gaps in standards, systems, processes and tools. Inter-regional coordination of development, standardization and alignment of quality tools. Conduct or coordinate all necessary translation of tools as required. Foster ongoing compliance with quality assurance mechanisms.
- In close coordination with Regional Advisory Managers, Senior trainers, and relevant content experts, contribute to the advisory services lifecycle definition: take part in the process flow documentation and definition of ‘service package’ by use case and client stage, in particular for the services in development and scale up (Climate Resilience, Digital Business Intelligence).
- Identify training needs and coordinate with Advisory managers the needed interventions to meet quality standards. Support the development and standardization of the Advisory toolbox, Advisors’ onboarding pack and performance management system.
- In close collaboration with Advisory field teams, lead the development and formalization of a mixed advisory approach, combining in person and remote training, including the definition of mixed (remote and on site) curriculum, identification of best practices, tools and platforms, and quality assurance mechanisms for the virtual delivery of advisory.
- In close collaboration with Advisory field teams and Impact teams, plan and coordinate the implementation and monitoring of gender inclusion practices throughout advisory activities.
- In support to the Global Advisory Manager and Director for Innovation, contribute to the next generation advisory service development: lead the formalization of a strategy and approach and participate in the elaboration of a 'Business Plan for Youth.’
Quality and results reporting and analysis - 20%
- Partner with the Impact team, in particular with the MEL Officer for Advisory Services, on the following:
Define, operationalize and enhance key assessment and evaluation tools. Contribute to the advancement and operationalization of our MEL systems and mechanisms.
- Lead and participate in the development of Advisory systems: identify and implement, in collaboration with the MEL Officer for Advisory Service and our Information Technology (IT) team, appropriate and user-friendly data storage and management systems compatible with our other IT systems.
- Compile, analyze and document global data and results for internal and external reporting. Prepare and present analytical reports on the outcomes.
- Develop feedback mechanisms by which Global and Regional Advisory Managers have access to timely, relevant and informative data on the quality and results of Advisory services in their regions.
Resilience grants coordination and quality assurance - 15%
- Ensure the coherence and alignment of processes and tools for the implementation of all Resilience Grants, across geographies, focus areas and funding opportunities.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of implementation and monitoring tools. Work in close coordination with the Regional Advisory Associates, as well as with Accounting, Treasury, Legal, Credit Admin and Lending Operations to ensure adequate procedures, policies and systems solutions are in place.
- Capture lessons learned and best practices in order to serve as a central global resource, feed back into quality control and continuous improvement of implementation systems & processes.
- Serve as the central point of contact for the Development team for proposals and reporting regarding Resilience Grants.
- Contribute to the strategy definition and review of the Resilience Grants program, and participate in its operationalization.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Agriculture, Business, International Development, or equivalent is required; graduate degree preferred.
- 4-6 years of relevant experience; e.g., small business training, quality assurance, monitoring and evaluation, impact investing, or related. A strong preference for any of the above in the rural agribusiness setting.
- Experience with development initiatives in Latin America and/or Africa, preferably in the areas of business development, gender inclusion, youth inclusion and next generation employment, impact investing, micro-enterprise/cooperative development, or financial training.
- English and Spanish fluency required, written and verbal.
- At minimum, a basic understanding of contemporary models for providing financial services to rural businesses; specifically, SME/SGB lending and/or microfinance.
- Knowledge of technical assistance models and methodologies; emphasis on financial management of small and growing businesses. Practical experience providing technical assistance to rural SGB’s preferred.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance concepts, tools and methodologies, including data collection, management and analysis abilities and experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to listen effectively, and to communicate complex ideas in compelling form.
- Collaborative and empathetic work style, works well on a team, horizontally and across departments with coworkers outside direct reporting lines. Customer service and solutions-oriented approach.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally.
- Attention to detail. Strong planning and organization skills.
Commensurate with experience.
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.