Advisory Associate SEA
Region: Southeast Asia
Reports to: Advisory Coordinator SEA
Job Type: Consultancy contract, part time
Duration: 12 months
Position Location: Indonesia: Jakarta or Medan
The Advisory Associate for the SEA region supports the implementation and administration of Root Capital’s advisory services program in Indonesia, in the day-to-day operations and logistics, as well as ensuring timely invoicing and data and information management. This role reports to the Advisory Coordinator in SEA and collaborates closely with other members of the Advisory, Impact, Grant Management and Accounting teams.
Mission & History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit whose mission is to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. We support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs for the next generation of leaders, level the playing field for women, and take urgent action against climate change.
We supply these businesses with vital credit and capacity building to foster their growth and resilience. We work in hard-to-serve communities where others don’t. To date, we’ve distributed $1.7 billion to improve the lives of over 10 million people in farming families. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently operates in Colombia, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ghana, Honduras, Indonesia, Kenya, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Rwanda and Uganda.
About our Advisory team
The Advisory team provides capacity-building to small and growing businesses, to accelerate their growth and strengthen their sustainable development. We provide training to agri-SMEs across all stages of business maturity, to improve access to build the foundational business management skills from which enterprises can grow, reduce their risk for lenders, and incorporate more sustainable and impactful business strategies and models, including digitally-enabled business analysis and climate mitigation planning.
In Indonesia, we support coffee cooperatives and social enterprises sourcing from farmers in Sumatra and Java so they have the tools they need to grow their reach, protect fragile ecosystems, and increase financial independence for women.
In close coordination with the SEA Advisory Coordinator and Global Advisory Manager:
- Operational, administrative and accounting management of advisory activities in the SEA region (50%):
- Prepare the terms of reference, revision and correction of agreements, contracts, letters, as well as the translation of these according to the quality criteria required by it.
- Prepare and ensure all contracts for advisory services providers are duly executed and filed.
- Coordinate logistics for onsite advisory activities (liaison for scheduling between advisors and clients, travel and accommodation arrangements).
- Coordinate logistics for centralized workshops (training venue and travel arrangements, participants confirmation) and any other essential service associated with advisory service activities.
- Coordinate logistics for donor visits, client visits, team integration activities, and advisors induction activities.
- Operate the accounting and administrative management of the team of consultants in the region; coordinate with the advisors, providers and accounting team to ensure timely settlement of bills; issue
- Support in the induction, training and updating of administrative processes of consultants.
- Information management and data handling of advisory activities in the SEA region (50%):
- Maintain an archive of key documents and records of all advisory activities for reporting purposes, using Root Capital systems and according to global advisory processes;
- Responsible for the collection of data on activities through Do Forms and of its correct management and quality in Salesforce.
- Responsible for the organization of the documentation in the regional folder of SEA Advisory: review and organization of its content, update to the structure of information and archive of relevant documentation.
- Contribute to the monitoring and reporting of program indicators, and analysis of the information generated.
- Contribute to the consolidation of information for the preparation of activity reports, and generation of quarterly and annual advisory services implementation reports.
- Participate in the monitoring of the advisory plan, fulfillment of programmatic goals, and quality of the information.
- Work with the Global Advisory Associate and the Quality Assurance Officer to implement systems for monitoring our advisory services
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Business Management, Economics, Project Management, Agribusiness Management, Agricultural Economics, Finance or related field
- 2 to 3 years of proven experience in project management, data management, administration, or logistical and financial support to field activities
- Ability to work with diverse and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent time-management, organizational skills and high attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, establish and maintain deadlines, and coordinate with multiple people across the organization.
- Strong experience with Google Drive, Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and writing) in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Proactive, service-oriented attitude.
- Strong interest in the field of rural development, social impact investing and Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Indonesia.
- Authorized to work in Indonesia.